I got a DATE!!!!!!

The UnSLEEVED 0.
on 7/1/08 9:34 am
After being banded in June 2006 I lost 30 pounds.  Mostly on my own with exercise and diet because I NEVER felt restriction or reached the so called "sweet spot" that I heard so many speak of.  I began gaining the weight back in the end of last year and have put 15 -20 pounds of it back on......  I thought I was doomed, and stuck with this thing for the rest of my life until I met YALL!!!  I HAD NO IDEA!!!  I put up a post that no one responded to.. but I still continued to visit, reply, and lurk!!!  I got so much information that I started researching DR and visiting other boards to see what surgery options were out there... WELL where I had first thought RNY was my ticket to the losing side... I have now decided on (DRUMROLL PLEASE...)  VSG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And i am so HAPPY.  I had narrowed it down to 2 doctors .  Dr Pleatman and Dr. Alvarez.. and I decided on DR Alvarez for no other reason except he had a sooner date than Dr Pleatman who is going on vacation.....  They are both excellent, experienced, knowlegeable and reasonbly priced ( I am self pay... AGAIN)   So I am scheduled with DR Alavarez for July 28, 2008...... YIPPEEEEE.. tell me about your experiences with your surgery? DR Alvarez? Getting rid of the Band???  etc.......

darnell239
on 7/1/08 9:41 am - Columbia, SC

Congratulations!  I know the feeling of getting what you want.  I am having revision on July 10th.  I had the mini-gastric bypass 8 1/2 years ago and I am converting to the true RNY.

fortworthgal
on 7/1/08 2:21 pm - Fort Worth , TX

Is your doctor in Mexico or the US? I hate to be Mexico bashing but the OH community just lost Colleen in Mexico following RNY. They said she had a leak. Its been like a week and her family still hasnt been able to bring her body home to Canada...I know you didnt ask for advice but Im gonna give it: If you can have your surgery in the US, do it because when things go wrong in Mexico you have NO recourse. And Im a hypocrite because I had my band in Mexico in 2004 because no one in the US would do surgery on me since my BMI was below 40 and also the cost was twice as much as Mexico. Since then doctors in the US have gone down on their self pay prices probably because there is more competition now. I had no complications and am so thankful but now I know that I would never take that chance again....Enough about that. I am also getting a revision from lap band but I have decided on the RNY because I need that malabsorption and I also hope that I will dump from sugar because I love sweets! My date is Aug 1 st and thankfully my insurance is paying for this one. So good luck! I hope you get some responses.

I went from lap band to RNY on Aug 1 2008.

SW    CW  GW
5'2"     205/133/ ?

The UnSLEEVED 0.
on 7/1/08 10:59 pm
I am a person that appreciates HONESTY.. and thank yu for yur post.. you know alot of times it is the stuff we dont know that kills us....... that is why i narrowed it down to 2 doctors.. BOTH with a zero mortality rate and I chose the VSG because the mortality rate is .25% or something...... so although we ALL take risks everywhere we go.... things happen in the us and mexico and things can happen even at the hands of the most capable surgeon.  There is no way to tell.... and I am very COOL with my decision.............  THANKS and we will keepin touch because you know what.... I will be back!!!

Cindy O.
on 7/1/08 3:26 pm - Bryan, TX
Where do you live?  If anywhere Bryan/College Station, you could call me about our program.  I'm the Director of Bariatric Surgery Program and we have 4 surgeons.  I would love to speak to you about having your surgery here.  my work cell is 979 220-7394 Cindy
magnet

I do not give medical advice.  I offer my opinion, nothing more. 
Arizonadck
on 7/1/08 10:49 pm - Chicago, IL
Hi - I have a question for you since you're the director of a bariatric program:  does my bmi have to be 40+ for insurance to pay for the revision?  My stoma is wide open (had RNY 5 years ago) - considering band over bypass or ERny.  As of today my BMI is 37.5.  Thanks a lot!! 
Cindy O.
on 7/2/08 12:21 am - Bryan, TX
Revision surgery is always an iffy.  Truly based on your insurance plan.  With a BMI of 37.5, you should have a problem qualifying for revision, but whether ins. will cover is the big question.  Best thing would be to get an appt with a bari surgeon and let them start the ins. verification process.  Good luck to you. Cindy
magnet

I do not give medical advice.  I offer my opinion, nothing more. 
Arizonadck
on 7/3/08 8:09 am - Chicago, IL
Thanks Cindy - I had appts w/2 different doctors - but neither does the malabsorption procedures (I want the ERny) - they only do the band over bypass.  I've read too many negatives things on this forum about the band - most of which you don't lose that much (and I want to lose 80#.  I'm tempted to go to AZ to Dr. S...  I just don't know what to do.  Thanks so much for your advice!  Carolyn
ShielaC.
on 7/3/08 1:38 pm
Hello, I read on here where someone near you found a local dr. to do the malabsorbve procedure. if I have time, I will try and find the old post. I'm pretty sure it was in IL or neighbring state. The DS board would know of drs. who do the DS near you and they would no how to do an ERny because the lower part is similar. Maybe check with them. If your stoma is the problem, you may not need malabsorb? Maybe just stomaphyz? Or Rose? Or stitches around the stoma to make it smaller. Someone on here had that done too and its working for her.
Most Active