Self Pay Revision prices

Felix P.
on 6/30/08 9:29 am - French Settlement, LA
RNY on 02/03/09 with
I'm quickly learning that VSG revision will cost much more than my original surgery. At least that's what I'm finding out so far. I paid $11,900 for my sleeve on 4-17-07. I was quoted a fee of $18,650 by a local surgeon today. OUCH!!! To you other self payers, how much more was your revision? Looks like I'm gonna have save some pennies. FYI: My Sleeve was made too small. I should now have a 2 to 4 ounce sleeve but I can eat over 16 ounces of solid food within 15 minutes. I want my sleeve snugged up. Going to my original surgeon is not an option.
VSG to RNY

ginau
on 6/30/08 12:08 pm - mesa, AZ
Question  Can they put a lapband on your sleeve?? 
babsintx
on 6/30/08 11:54 pm - GA
Hi ,

Asking questions to be helpful. I am a revision from lapband to sleeve but lost 92% of my excess weight before the troubles started with my band. Yes, any kind of revision is expensive. I was lucky to have insurance to pay for my revision due to banding complications that could be seen on flouroscopy and endoscopy.

No accusations here just curious since i went through this with my band:

I wondered what proof other than your ability to eat a pound of solid food in 15 minutes that you have that your sleeve was always bigger than it should be? Were you always able to eat this much from day one or was it a slow process of eating a little more each day? Is it possible overtime that you have stretched it out from chronic sleeve packing? It can be done. I have an RN friend who said that her surgeon who does mostly sleeves sees some stretching at about a year out and for 2-3% it is significant due to overeating or esophageal motility issues that were there prior to sleeving.THe only reason I bring this up is maybe it doesnt make sense to have a sleeve revision especially if you have problems with motility issues of the esophagus or compliance issues with portion control. At least in my case, the band had to come out due to chronic esophageal dilation, pouch dilation, band slippage and achalasia of the esophagus. My revision surgeon went over all the options available to me and i knew there was a risk of future problems with esophageal dilation if I did not measure food quantity by volume (thats what I do now) that the problem could come back again even with a sleeve since my esophageal motility is questionable. I hope that I am making sense. I think it makes more sense to find a good revision surgeon to have a consult with that wont steer you to one procedure over another. Some surgeons say they are revision surgeons but really are not. There are a few good revision surgeons, Dr. Roslin in NYC (he does sleeve, RNY, band and DS) Dr. Husted in CA (revision surgeon who does all surgeries) Dr. Schlesinger (I think AZ) Dr. Gagner in Florida at Mount Sinai.

I think it would be easy to say just snug up the sleeve but that might just be a temporary solution if there is something else going on that can help explain why this happened in the first place. Maybe you can have some motility testing done so you know if this may be a chronic problem with your esophagus. Some people who have motility problems use their esophagus as a second pouch and are not aware that they are eating too much since they dont get the sensation to stop until the food is in their esophagus. By that time, you have already eaten way too much. If you have insurance, I would recommend getting it done by saying you have GERD or trouble swallowing. If it turns out you do have this problem, then another procedure might be a better choice so you dont have to spend money on a 3rd revision. Just food for thought.

Good luck!!!

Babs

Jay Park
on 6/30/08 11:57 pm - MO
Most Active