In need of some support

MandiDawn5281
on 6/29/08 4:02 pm
Hi everyone,  I am new to this board so I would like to introduce myself. My name is Amanda, I'm 27 years old and I live in Maine. My mother had a stomach stapling back in the 80's when I was just a little girl. She has been throwing up ever since and can keep mostly just liquids down. She has just been told she can have it reversed which is good news because she will be healthier. She has high blood pressure and diabetes and is unable to control it the way she is now. I'm just nervous about her having this done. I thought I would come here to get some support and just hear she is going to be ok. Has anyone ever heard of people having this reversed? Thank you for your time, Amanda
turtle829
on 6/29/08 11:39 pm
Revision on 08/04/15
Do you mean revised or reversed?  I had the banding 6 yrs ago.  Have been throwing up ever since.  It was recently determined it was because the original banding was placed to small/tight.  The 6 yrs of throwing up and being too tight led to a fistula.  I had to have a revision, 5/1/08, in order to fix the fistula.  They were not able to reverse what was done originally due to being altered.  So, I was revised to a RNY. Just make sure she is pleased with the surgeon.  There are not a lot of docs with revision experience.   Best wishes
ginau
on 6/30/08 8:24 am - mesa, AZ
Amanda   Pretty much the only thing they can not reverse is what has been removed from the body . There are some very talented Dr's that  can  Help your mom. I urge you to go with her to see them- so you understand what  they will be doing to  her. Dont be shy - ask all the questions you want .. Also we have a couple Dr's that post and  you can ask them..  We are a small community and do care about others ..  Best Wish's to your Mom !!  
MandiDawn5281
on 6/30/08 12:41 pm

She has already gone to see the surgeon...he is calling it a reversal because she's not having any type of other surgery. He said he has done about 30 reversals already. He is going to cut the band so that she can keep food down. I think it's supposed to be about a 2 hour surgery. I don't understand much of it because I didn't think they could completely reverse it either. I've heard of several people around here that have done it though so it must be able to be done. He has already gone down her stomach using upper endoscopy and looked around...said he should be able to do it with one small hole in her stomach. I suppose its good news because if there was any problems he would have known it when he looked around down there, wouldnt he?

MandiDawn5281
on 6/30/08 12:40 pm
Most Active