Stomaphyx Plus

Zurib
on 6/28/08 9:52 am - Newburgh, NY
Hello All, I was supposed to have an ERNY revision  for my RNY done this coming Tuesday but surgeon called early this past week to speak about Stomaphyx Plus.  I had already heard about the Stomaphyx procedure and was not originally interested but apparently there has been some improvement on the original Stomaphyx.  I am now scheduled for July 7th.  My attitude is really like this-if I can avoid being cut open again in hopes of adjusting my tool to rid myself of the 70 lbs I've regained and can get the same result, I'm willing to try.  Besides, if all else fails, I still have the ERNY option available.  Has anyone else heard of the Stomaphyx Plus procedure?
pepsi98
on 6/28/08 12:12 pm - Norwich, CT
I have just recently heard of it, but don't really know much about the difference between that and stomaphyx.  I did have stomaphyx on 2/1/08 and it did not work...NO RESTRICTION!  I also had to pay $10,500 out of pocket.  I'll be paying that for the next 2 years!!  So, my question is are you paying out of pocket?  Or will you be in a clinical trial?  Or is your insurance paying??
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

Zurib
on 6/28/08 12:55 pm - Newburgh, NY
Hi, Wow...sorry to hear about your situation.  I cannot imagine!  My insurance is covering the cost.  I can't say more positive things about my surgeon.  He did my original RNY and has been exceptional.  I had a baby in 2006 and marched into his office a few months before delivering in a panic about the weight gain and he's worked with me ever since.  I know that I have to do my part (FULLY) this time around-believe you me, this time will be sooooooooooooo different.  By the way, where did you hear of the Stomaphyx Plus?-I was hesitant when I heard the word Stomaphyx but then when he explained further (the Plus portion) I was more attentive.  I wish you all of the very best!
darnell239
on 6/28/08 1:15 pm - Columbia, SC
In my opinion, I think you should go for the Extended RNY.  You will have better long term results and will loose your weight fairly quickly.  I have been following the stomaphx procedure and so far the results have been mininum.  There are several people who have had the ERNY and have been very please.  Plus your doctor should be able to do the procedure lap (hopefully).
Zurib
on 6/28/08 1:21 pm - Newburgh, NY
Hi D, Thanks for the reply.  I have also followed the Stomaphx procedure- since last summer.  Again, this is not the original Stomaphyx-there is more restriction involved and if I can be just as successful w/out being opened up, then I'm game.  I will still have the ERNY option but I will let you know what happens.  Believe me, if I'm not successful you'll hear about it.  My surgeon (Dr. Goodman) does not do the laproscopic ERNY-open only.  The very best on your upcoming procedure!
littleguy
on 6/29/08 4:13 am
The plus most likely is sclero therapy of the stoma.  I would check out ROSE before deciding to do stomaphyx.  you shouldnt restrict yourself to only the choices YOUR surgeon has to offer.  The stomaphyx plications have been shown not to last.   also. your insurance may have approved a "revision" but i would double check to see if that includes endoluminal revisions. most insurances are not covering these.
pepsi98
on 6/29/08 9:50 am - Norwich, CT
I agree...and the other thing I was thinking about is that if for some reason your insurance DOES pay for the stomaphyx plus, I would place bets that it wouldn't work and there you'd be...probably very hard pressed to get them to turn around and pay for the ERNY as well. Good luck!
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

reenieb
on 6/29/08 9:54 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Please do exhaustive, extensive research on ALL endoscopic "revision" procedures before moving forward; you are banking on desperation. These procedures do not work. And do not pay any attention to this person called "Littleguy" who works for "Bigguy" - neither of whom is willing to share their actual names or credentials - both of whom are nothing better than used car salesmen trying to lure desperate people onto the lot, take their money in exchange for their clunker endoscopic procedure called the Rose - and as Shakespeare said, a rose is a rose by any other name...does your surgeon have any experience in performing the stomaphyx (which I call stomaphail) - either the original or the new "Plus" version - the bigger, better, more promising "phyx" - the only true fix, my friend, lies within you...healthy eating in moderate portions, regular physical activity that you enjoy and that breaks a sweat and increases your heart rate, and living a full and passionate life - this is the FIX. YES, we are up against the odds - genestics, large stoma openings (they didn't warn us about this, did they?), enlarged pouches, emotional eating pathology, and a host of other issues -- but the FIX lies within us, at the core of our emotional strength, which feeds our resolve to sustain physical fitness, which feeds our mental balance, which feeds our desire to live passionately and give ourselves away to the world so that we can leave it a better place than what we found when we were born into it. THIS IS THE PHYX. Don't do it. Please. Yours, Maureen
Zurib
on 6/29/08 11:12 am - Newburgh, NY
Hi Maureen, Thank you for your post.  I appreciate your concern but I am doing what I want to do-for me.  I know the things that I must do in order to succeed and I've promised myself to do just that this time around.  I don't know who littleguy is and I know my surgeon very well (since 2002). I know that I have to work my tool and have vowed to do it to the fullest.  Again, thanks for your reply
Cheryl J.
on 6/30/08 12:32 pm

Just to share my little 2 cents. I strongly advise you to go for the FULL revision. My mother had the StomaPhail, and I had sclerotherapy. These alternatives do not work. Maybe for a few weeks, but that is it. Why go through all the trouble. You might as well go for the ERNY, especially if you are apporved by your ins. company. These surgeons want to use these new tools on us to be their guinea pigs for 15 mins (procedure time) and get paid thousands of dollars!  And then you are left with a FAILED procedure feeling disappointed.  Make your surgeon work hard for that money, and give you a procedure thats going to work.

Most Active