home and feeling great

DLJones
on 6/27/08 2:00 am, edited 6/28/08 12:07 pm - Lockhart, TX

On Monday I had my lapband removed and was converted to the gastric bypass.  Got home Wednesday and am feeling a lot better then I anticipated.  Not experiencing anything close to the excruciating pain I thought I would be.

I also was able to coordinate a carpal tunnel release of my left hand.  Glad both surgeons were

willing to do that for me.  My left hand is bundled so please forgive any typos!

I had about 30 min of regret while I was still in the hospital.  I laugh now about it.  I think

that some of you may find it humoring as well... 

Because of positioning during the surgery and some edema f/ my IV, I didn’t have any use and very little feeling f/ my right hand (non operative hand).  BTW, the feeling in my right hand is now back and fine. So, here I am sitting on the commode at the hospital the day after surgery. No feeling in either hand except for extreme numbness in both.  That wonderful gastrograffin stuff they have you swallow in radiology to see if they are any leaks…well, that stuff gives you a case of flatulence AND diarrhea!  So I am struggling to get the toilet paper off the dispenser roll.  Finding out that I cannot tell if I am wiping good because I don’t have feeling in my hand nor do I know where my hand is actually at, aiming towards or even moving at all! Mind you that I wrapped that toilet paper up like a mit all around my hand and tried and tried!  It gets worse.  Guess who starts her menstral cycle that never starts early?  You guessed it!  I NEVER EVER start my period early and never on time.  They are usually about 6-8 weeks apart.  I was actually happy because my last one was May 28,my birthday!  Should have known that was a jinx right there! So I knew that I would be a couple weeks post op when my next one would be starting.    I just sat there and cried for a little while and thought, “what have I done!”.   To the right of the commode was a shower stall w/ a REMOVEABLE shower wand that actually reached to the commode!.  “oh thank you, Mother of all good and pure, thank you, thank you!”.  I somehow was able to get cleaned up and make it back to bed, exhausted.  I could have called the nurse and had her help me.  However I was much to humiliated.  I did put on my call light when I was back in bed and when she came in I started crying telling her all this.  She was GREAT and reassured me that this happens all the time and that she had worked labor/delivery and post partum for several years in the past and to not be ashamed or too embarrassed.  She made sure I had some pads and chux.  I did call her again when I needed attention.  My nurse, Shelley, was truly awesome!

I’ve been watching a lot of afternoon TV lately.  The first day I had the TV on at home to watch something I was shocked at how many commercials that were on that were about food and the serving sizes, omg!  And it wasn’t healthy stuff either.  A hamburger w/ bacon, fried onions and smothered w/ cheese and chili chese fries.  Another fast food the sandwich/burger was so huge that it bearly fit in the mans two hands!  I was just amazed because I have seen these commercials before but never thought anything about them!  Why cant they have food commercials that are more healthy and shown w/ what a TRUE portion size is!

But I at home and feeling great.  I feel that a good nutrition mindset has begun within me.

Hope everyone is doing well, donna

(deactivated member)
on 6/27/08 4:44 am - AZ
It is normal to start your peorid after surgery. It has happen twice to me when I have not had one in 2 years. I have a revision I my gastric bypass  on July 2 and  had a D& C last Nov 2007 due doing having a peroid for 6months straight and had huge clot the size of baseballs. I hope that next Wednesday does no up set mother nature it and start again and never stop. Good luck to you.
Most Active