Lap band to RNY people--I am scheduled for Monday

shel
on 6/26/08 11:59 am - Howell, NJ
I am going to have my lap band removed and revised to RNY this Monday.  I know there are others out there who have had this done.-  how are you doing?  Any special advice for me? Many thanks, Michele
slfam
on 6/26/08 6:35 pm - WI
Just be ready to take your MANY vitamins and drink your protein shakes for the rest of your life. It really is crucial. It is a big change from the band. Don't bring any of your bad band-habits with you. Do your best to follow the rules exactly and be prepared for a slower rate of weight loss. I am losing very slowly but I am glad I did it. I suggest joining the OSSG_Graduates group at yahoo. You can only post if you are at leat 1 year post-op (from any WLS)  and there is a lot of chatter but those people really know their stuff!
charleston-mom
on 6/26/08 11:20 pm, edited 6/26/08 11:29 pm
Hi Michele - Nice to hear from youa gain! For goodness sakes! You are not going to have to drink protein shakes for the rest of your life. That's just plain ridiculous. I had revision from lapband to RNY at the end of August (10 months ago). I get all of my protein from food and am down now to 125 pounds. I haven't had a protein shake since month 2 and don't intend to ever have one again. I absolutely love my RNY. There is no comparison between lapband and RNY. RNY is MUCH better surgery. I'm SO excited for you!!!!!!!

I also did not lose slower. I have lost over 120 pounds in 10 months, just as fast as the regular RNY'ers considering I was a "relative lightweight" when I started in August. So don't listen to people who tell you that you won't lose as fast. If you follow the regular advice for RNY'ers, you will lose just like they do. I am actually ahead of some of the RNY'ers in my support group who are not revisions. There is no reason why you can't do really, really good.

I also don't understand the MANY vitamins thing. I take Optisource - 2 in the a.m. and 2 in the p.m., just like the regular RNY'ers. I don't find it too many, and they are chewable and really good and my labs are great. I'm not sure why the above poster seems to be trying to either scare you or be a naysayer about how much weight you're going to lose. Lapband surgery, per a lot of the research and my own personal experience, just doesn't work as well. I think you're going to find yourself just thrilled. You still have to work at it, and change your entire eating habits and lifestyle and exercise and all that, but there is absolutely no reason just because you're a revision that you can't have the same success as RNY'ers who are first-timers. The surgery is completely different. Again - I'm so excited for you!!!!!!
mrsedaddy
on 6/27/08 12:04 am - Spring, TX
This was a great thread to find this morning!  I am starting the process of revision.  It's great to read about your success.  Thank you for the Friday morning motivation :)
mew6495
on 6/27/08 8:51 am - MI
HI Michelle,  I had RNY in 2001.  Yes....it is imperative that you are religious with both your vitamins and protein.  My first 4 years or so out from the RNY, I also only had to take a couple of multiple vitamins a day and got enough protein from the meats I ate without having to rely on protein shakes.  Over time the vitamin depletion in your system and with the malabsorption  aspect of RNY can cause low vitamin and protein levels.  7 years out and I have to take extra, D, Iron, Calcium and B12 and a protein shake a day because my labs gradually went down below the recommended levels.  These are the typical vitamins that are necessary extras for many RNYers.  I have become enemic and this only occurred over time.  My PCP and surgeon said this is a high possibility for WLS patients who do not take the extra supplements when their labs start lowering.    I just read a report from a MI baratric center that said over time extra D will be required for any type of WLS surgery patient.  So please DO LISTEN to what other posts who are long term out there have to say.  Do your research and home work as well before making your decision.  RNY is a life style change.  If you are not serious about your vitamins and protein and have the ability to become complacent about them I would suggest you reconsider RNY.  This is not just my opinion....I am a living RNY patient who has experienced the vitamin depletion.  If you read the many posts on this site you will find hundreds more with the same cir****tance.  We can't all be wrong....
shel
on 6/27/08 12:10 pm - Howell, NJ
Many thanks for the encouraging words.  I am well-stocked on clear liquids, low carb sugar free protein supplements, vitamins, calcium citrate, chewable multis, sublingual B-12s, etc., and looking forward to following the RNY eating protocol rather than the lap band diet.  Exercise has become a habit for me and I've added in swimming since we've been able to open the pool.  I prefer walking and do that religiously every day.  I may not be as fast as others, but slow and steady wins the race, right?  For me this surgery is mostly about shutting down my diabetes, and weight loss will be a welcome side effect.  I thank all of you for your support. Michele
mew6495
on 6/27/08 12:23 pm - MI
Sounds like you are already ahead of the game! I am sure you will do fine. Especially being as prepared as you are. Good luck and I hope you have a speedy recovery.
ebony_teaches
on 7/1/08 12:38 am - Baker, LA
Hi Michele I am a revision patient from band to rny.  I am 6months out.  For ME my weightloss has been very slow. My surgeon told me that it would be. He just didn't tell me that before surgery lol!  I am losing none the less. I was 252lbs the day of surgery. At 6 months out I am at 209lbs. The protein for me is very important. I find the more protein I consume the more the scale moves.  I also hired a personal trainer, who I will commit myself to for another 6months. This has really helped to jumpstart my weightloss. I've been with him a month now and I've lost 11lbs and lots of inches.  It's really motivated me again. I was really discouraged at one point. I thought this wouldn't work for me just like the lapband.  I had issues with my band, but that's another story. It's on my profile if you care to read it.  I question my pouch size, stoma size and wonder if my surgeon bypassed enough of my intestines.  I'll be presenting these questions to him when I go for my 6month post op visit.  If you have time ask your surgeon these questions. Just so you'll know for yourself and have a peace of mind about it.  God's blessings to you on your revision!!! Ebony

Ebony_Teaches

highest life time weight 330lbs///  lowest life time weight without surgery 217lbs
weight pre band 292lbs ///  lowest weight with band 232lbs
pre op weight w/ gastric bypass 252lbs
current weight with RNY 195lbs

"Everything is possible for him who believes."   
Mark 9:23

shel
on 7/1/08 9:58 am - Howell, NJ
thnk you ebony.  Just home for hospital, drive was hard and in lots of pain.  thank you for your kind words. Michele
fortworthgal
on 7/2/08 3:58 am - Fort Worth , TX
Hi, I am going from band to RNY on august 1. How are you doing now?

I went from lap band to RNY on Aug 1 2008.

SW    CW  GW
5'2"     205/133/ ?

Most Active