Failed VBG now considering DS Any thoughts or advice?

isaiah54mom
on 6/22/08 5:21 am - bartlesville, OK
I am 52 years old  I weigh 354 lbs. I had a VBG 20 years ago. I want get a DS. Any body done it? any advice. I am sending all my records to DR. Deveney In Oregon. I live in Oklahoma but none of the surgeons here do a revision.  Help JO

HW/ SW/CW/GW
427+/427/148/150

ShielaC.
on 6/22/08 8:47 am, edited 6/22/08 8:47 am
There are rivision docs in Texas and Chicago, both of which are closer to you than Oregon. I think there's one by the name of Dr. Barker, who is in TX. I don't know if he does the DS. If you read some of the revision posts or go to the texas board, someone probably knows of several who can halp you. Also, try the DS board. I've seen people post whole lists of surgeons all over the country who do the DS. And, I think, if you are only VBG, not RNY, the converstion to DS is easier. Also, try going to the bariatric doctor association website, www.asbs.org. You will find a list by state of the Dr's who do all the different procedures. Good luck.
isaiah54mom
on 6/23/08 2:25 am - bartlesville, OK
Thank you so much for your replyI went to the ASBS website and there is a center of excellence in Topeka KS which is 160 miles from me. They must have got their approval in the last 6 weeks because I have been researching this for over 8 months. I called and left a message so now I wait.  Thank you again jo
prettydove
on 6/23/08 6:38 pm
Kansas does not have any DS surgeon or even revision to DS surgeons. You can check my profile at the bottom for surgeons who do perform the DS in the US and have been verified that they are qulaified to perform the DS. I am still in the process getting their vitale regarding DS experience, if they do lap DS and how many DS surgeries they have perform. I invite and welcome you to the DS forum to inquire about any DS surgeon and ask about revision to DS. Looking forward to seeing you there. My best to you. http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/a,messageboard/board_id ,5357/
HW 305 / SW 247 / CW 138 / GW 140 
Great minds discuss ideas.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.
isaiah54mom
on 6/26/08 12:06 am - bartlesville, OK
Hi. Thank you for your reply. I went to the American Society for Bariatric Surgeons and they have two surgeons listed that are in Topeka KS> They operate through a practice called Tallgrass. I have spoken to their surgical nurse twice. The surgeon that has my file wants me to have an endoscopy done to see if the staple line has failed. He also wanted to know if the band was mesh or silicone. I do remember that the band was not wire but I have also called the original surgeons office to confirm. I called the hospital but they said thay have destroyed all old files before 2001. The Society website has them both certified to do DS/ BPD/DS and revisions. I will ask questions to make sure they are qualified. My only other option at the time I called them was Dr. Deveny in Oregon. I have to have it done at a Center of Excellence because Medicare is my insurance and they require this. Peace Jo
isaiah54mom
on 6/26/08 12:16 am - bartlesville, OK
I also forgot to add. their is another center of excellence in Lenexa Kansas.

Medical Director of Bariatric Surgery Wanda Kaniewski, MD, FACS She wanted a $350 consultation fee in cash. My insurance company told me not go there because they would not reimburse me if she did not do the surgery. http://www.iabsobesitysurgery.com/ this is from the home page: At present our Program is the only one in Kansas and several area states performing the Lap-Band, Gastric Bypass as well as the Duodenal Switch (DS), Biliopancreatic Diversion (BPD) and Revision surgeries laparoscopically. The program is widely respected for high standards and a commitment to quality, not only in the performance of weight loss surgery but also in the aftercare, which is so vital for successful outcomes and results. Sigh...I just want to get this done. Jo

jazzigirl
on 7/7/08 5:16 pm - Rose Hill, KS
Be glad your insurance would not pay her. If you are considering the DS, please research the doctors carefully. You must have an experienced and very skilled doctor for this surgery. I could write pages of why the DS is the right surgery for me, and others could affirm that, but if you do not have a highly skilled surgeon, I wouldn't have the surgery for any amount of money or for any amount of weight loss. Please go to the DS boards and read through the posts and you will find people willing to answer any and all questions and you will find that every person on the DS boards agrees that choosing the surgeon is most important. Best of luck and stay away from Dr. K.

75% EWL!!!!    Miracles do happen and the DS is mine!
jazzigirl
on 7/7/08 5:21 pm - Rose Hill, KS
Topeka Tallgrass has just started doing the DS this year and I doubt they do (or have much experience with) the revision. I would like to advise you to stay away from Dr. K in Lenexa, KS. They may say she does it, but they will try to bait and switch you and convince you to have another procedure. They brag about being the only doctor in Kansas and surrounding states to do the DS but they will fight tooth and nail not to do it for you. There is much more I can tell you but I won't waste your time. Ijust hope you won't go with a surgeon that is not very very experienced in revision or one who doesn't have a steller reputation! Best of luck.

75% EWL!!!!    Miracles do happen and the DS is mine!
prettydove
on 6/23/08 6:33 pm
There are no revision to DS surgeons in the state of Texas. Dr Barker does not do revision to DS.  The only 2 DS surgeons in the state of Texas are Dr Stewart in Denton and Dr Wilson in Houston. Neither do revision to DS. There are also only 2 DS surgeons in Illinois, both in the Chicago area, who are Dr. Alverdy and Dr. Prachand.  No revision to DS is easy, they are all complicated procedures whether first DSer or revision to DS. It can only be done be by a very experienced, skillful, competent and qualified DS surgeon. The training for becoming a DS surgeon and even a revision DS surgeon has a very length learning curve that takes months and even over a year. My best to you. 
HW 305 / SW 247 / CW 138 / GW 140 
Great minds discuss ideas.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.
scaryreader
on 6/22/08 1:57 pm - Chicago, IL
Hi Jo, I had my stomach stapled in '76. I lost about 80lbs total. I had a revision to the ds in Oct. '06, so far I've lost 170lbs. Feel free to read my profile. If you have any questions, just ask.

Eve
hw:400+
sw:340
cw:163

Most Active