Stoma too big? Any suggestions?

E.J.
on 6/21/08 9:55 pm - Springfield, MO
I had gastric bypass almost 2 years ago and only lost about 1/2 what I should haveMy doctor did an endoscopy and found out that the stoma was 4 times the size it should have been, but the stomach was fine.  Anyone else had this problem?  What causes the stoma to be too big...did I out eat it or was it just not right from surgery? Has anyone had this happen and have they had it fixed and lost weight?  I had one session of sclerotherapy this week and I hear that you sometimes need 2-3 treatments before it works.  I feel like I could eat without restriction.  After my bypass, it felt like almost nothing was done because I could always eat too much.  Right from the beginning I could have 2 cups of soup or more.  That doesn't seem right.  Any insight would be appreciated.

E.J. ....sitting on the loser's bench!!! 

"People will forget what you said, people will forget
what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel"    Maya Angelou

Kathy B.
on 6/22/08 9:26 am - East Windsor, CT
Yup - sounds like me.  I've been able to eat more from the very beginning also.  I'm scheduled for a fistula repair and a partial stomectomy to fix this, and the doc will also tighten up my stoma opening.  Hope it works.   Keep up the sclerotherapy - maybe it will help.  Is your insurance covering this?  It certainly is a lot easier than other options - so stick it out for a while, and find out how you do.  Best wishes to you. Kathy B
Janelle S.
on 6/22/08 12:04 pm - Metairie, LA
I had a small stomach pouch and a large stoma. My doctor went in laparoscopically and placed stitches all around my stoma to tighten it. This was done 2 months ago and I have lost 32 lbs so far. After 5 1/2 years it is great to feel restriction. Good luck, Janelle

AmyBeth :)
on 6/22/08 12:52 pm - Fort Smith, AR
You people are scaring me on this forum! I wished I had never started reading it 2 weeks ago! AB
reenieb
on 6/22/08 11:15 pm
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Why, AB? What exactly is frightening you? If it is the reality check that people are gaining their weight back post-surgery, it is better to deal with this truth than to avoid it. Do your research. A huge percentage of people gain a significant amount of weight back. Stay vigilent with your program. Eat healthily and work out, hard and often. This is the only true method of protecting your success. Maureen
AmyBeth :)
on 6/23/08 12:59 am - Fort Smith, AR
I just have not seen all this in my real life, I had an aunt who never gained back in 30 years, people I work out with 5 years out and no gain.  I work out and love my gym!  Please let me know more than following the tools and exercising what else I can do not to go through serious problems later! AB
Jeana C.
on 7/2/08 1:48 pm - Hempstead, NY

thank you for coming clean on the weight gain.  I had GBP in 2004 started at 360.  two weeks after surgery I was concerned about how much I could eat.  To make a long story short it took me a year and a half to lose 90 pounds and I have gained 20 of that back.  I still have such a long way to go and i am struggling not to ever get back to 300.  I feel like a failure all my friends have lost significant weight through diet and exercise and I am the one who had surgery and am still fat.  I want a revision, was thinking about getting banded, but not too sure of that.  I also would like to find out what the test is which tells you what is stretched, stoma or pouch and would consider someting not too invasive.  I had open RNY and do not want to go that route again.  I thank god I am healthy and look half decent.  I know some GBP patients who don't look to good at all.  And then there are those who look magnificent.  I just want to lose another 50-70 pds to get to 215 to 230.  God help me

Most Active