My revision news NOT GOOD though !

Susie221
on 6/20/08 9:26 am, edited 6/20/08 10:02 am - UK
Am so very down since my last visit to the doctor on Thurs To cut a long story short ,had distal rny 2006 ,lost weight for 6 months then stopped ,was 21.4 now 15st 7had the op in Belgium,saw a dr privately who did endescope and found pouch and outlet wide open,couldnt afford to have revision  done with him ,so was referred to the NHS (UK) have been seeing all the drs etc for 7 months now and saw the head of bariatrics thurs ,I thought this appt was going to be my date or rough time when op will be done .........but NO  He now wants me to see dietitican and go on an eating plan, have stool samples to see how much fat I am eating ...even though its not that much ! want me to see some other dr and then have another test to see if I am producing the hormone from my intestine that makes us have the feeling of being satisfied .........WHY ???? I am 53 nor 33 or 43 ,how long will all this take ? I am getting older  and my chance to be a normal weight seems to be slipping away by the day ,why put me on a diet now ,when they know there is a mechanical failure to the op .....I couldnt diet before am able to eat pretty much anything ,have had hardly any restriction ,what can I do ??? am feeling so frustrated ,annoyed and just feel like crying ,why oh why cant they just do the op and let me try and get on with my life ? Sorry for the long ranting post but I just want to get this off my chest  I will probably end up getting into debt and have the revision done  privately done ,would you do this ? has anyone having a revision had to undergo these tests?? Please let me know  Susie xxx 
S Andrews
on 6/20/08 3:46 pm - eatonville, WA
Susie, I'm so sorry your having such a hard time. I can relate. I am 58 and I figure nows the time to make the move because I'm getting to old for this. Hang in there and things will fall into place for you somehow, somewhere! Hugs Sharon
PekinSal
on 6/21/08 8:01 am - UK
Hi Susie The impression I get is that the NHS doesn't like to pay for first time surgery, never mind revisions. My PCT will only pay for bands (had that, didnt work) and was no help at all when I suggested DS. I had to borrow the money to pay for the band to be removed and have the DS done - if I'd waited for the NHS I'd still be waiting in 10 years time, and would have gone blind from diabetic complications by then!  I'll tell you in a year if it was worth it - its going ok so far, fingers crossed!

DS revision from failed lapband

2ndtimearound
on 6/21/08 3:46 pm
Hi Susie, I have started my revision journey.  I was told last week that usually revisions are either approved or denied right off the bat, however, I am the lucky 1st patient of the facility I go to that has had the insurance company requesting a nutrition eval and another psych eval in addition to a nutrition class.  I completed all three today, so we shall see what hoops they make me jump thru next!  I have not heard of the many tests and things that you are having to go thru, I am a little surprised that they are taking you thru that much if a mechanical failure has been determined.  I wish you all the luck in getting thru a successful revision. I am hoping to hear from anyone who has had a revision done.  I am worried about the leaking risk that has been explained to me as being a much higher risk factor than 1st time surgery. Christina
Most Active