I am failing the DS ... i can feel it.

Dutchy
on 6/19/08 9:47 am - stittsville, Canada
Hi all, I am wondering if there is anyone else out there DS'r that is that has failed or has not reached goal. I am not there yet, i am 14 months out I started at 305 and am currently at 214 i have really not lost any weight since Dec07 and i have another 65 pounds to lose. I feel i am failing at this .. others around me who had the DS are losing like crazy but not me .. I am a carb eater but i don't eat enough calories in the day to not lose weight... i don't eat bread/pasta/rice none of that but i do like a handful of chips once in a while i also don't have the pooping issues .. i go every few days. Is it possible that i am done at this point???.. being 14 months out and not losing in the last 6 months? What would i even revise to if i decided to get it looked into.. i am lost but i am more afraid of failing at this WLS, I have failed so much and i was certain this was it for me. Any words of wisdom out there? Anyone else like me? Thanks Kerry

Iris Shimmer
on 6/19/08 12:34 pm
I am not a Ds'r, but it could be you are not enough. Are you getting protein an essential nutrients and fats?

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.

m.espoir
on 6/19/08 12:38 pm - NJ
Gosh there are so many better DS "pros" on the DS board, you should double-post there as well, they will help you...! I would guess that you should up the fat, a LOT, this will make you have more BM's (sorry gross) but I think this is how everything kind of slides thru and doenst really absorb. I mean things like lamb, steak, chicken, cooked on the stove in pure butter, heavy cream sauces, heavy dips, things like this. Good luck!!!
"Don't expect.......Suggest." ......–The Edge
Lap Band 2/26/03---lost 80 pounds!
FAILED (Erosion/emergency removal) 4/4/07, Gained ALL weight back 8/29/07 
Approved for DS 10/09/07

DS performed successfully 10/29/07
1st Hernia repair and vertical TT 1/15/09
2nd Hernia repair and small vertical TT 12/27/2010
HW  SW   CW   GW       240 225 159 135
(5ft.2in.)

PekinSal
on 6/20/08 5:53 am - UK
Hiya Kerry I'd agree - post on the DS board too, cos a couple of people have been in the same position as you recently and they've been given loads of advice, especially about the demon carbs. In effect you're relying on your smaller stomach rather than your bypass if you're eating a lot of carbs, and I bet you're like me in that restriction (of quantity) isn't enough to make you lose weight.  Up the protein, up the water, reduce the carbs and exercise seems to sum it up, but post and see if you get something from people who've been in your shoes. Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

prettydove
on 6/20/08 5:43 pm, edited 6/20/08 5:44 pm
I also recommend you post to the DS board. One of thing you mentioned is you are a carb eater. I do not have enough calories in my daily diet, eat carbs, but the right carbs that is comples, and do eat bread, pasta and rice on a regular base and still lose weight. Eventhough, you do not eat bread, pasta or rice, you have to also look into how much simple carbs you are intaking. A DSer is able to malabsorb 40-50% of the complex carb, yet, zero of the simple carb. As a DSer, calories and fat has greatly malabsorb. Eating more fats is a good thing. But, you have to know what is the difference in the various carbs and how that affects you and causes stalls or your weight to stop. We can teach you the difference about complex and simple carbs, how it affects you a DSer, how calories, fats and even what food is recommended to help you lose more weight. You can also post to the DS food log thread that is there daily, in order that other DSer can help you and even see what is causing your stall and what food you are eating that might cause a stall for you. http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/a,messageboard/board_id ,5357/
HW 305 / SW 247 / CW 138 / GW 140 
Great minds discuss ideas.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.
hollyface
on 6/23/08 2:05 pm - TX
please please please re-post this on the DS board.  you WILL get lots of answers there.  well-informed, helpful and concerned answers from people who have a DS and have had problems with it.  i wish you success in your continued journey and hope to see this on the DS board soon!
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if i have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."  - Buddha

HW: 322  SW:  314  CW:  137

Valerie G.
on 6/27/08 9:01 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Perhaps your problem is that you aren't eating enough calories in the day as you stated. Going every few days has me concerned, as many DSers go at least once a day, and ask anyone not knowledgable of the DS and they're thinking we **** out everything we eat right away.

If I ever got higher than I wanted, I eat lots of fat and protein, cut out the carbs and down the scale goes.    You probably enjoyed those carbs a little earlier than you should have.  Most wait until they're near their goal before they bring anyhthing more than veggies into their world. 

I'm not convinced that you're done yet, but I'm convinced that you havent given it your all.  Its easier for some than others.  One revision you could get is to make your sleeve smaller to give you more restriction, or shorten your cc.  I wouldn't risk another surgery until I'd gone hardcore low carb and high protein-high fat first.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active