How did you feel after sclerotherapy?

Nettie D.
on 6/18/08 12:50 am - Purdy, MO
Hello everyone. I just had sclerotherapy yesterday and I am very sore today. They had to use more anesthesia than planned because I gagged on the tube. It hurts to swallow. I remember waking up in the middle of the procedure trying to get the tube up. They had to hold me down. Now all the muscles in my chest and abdomen are very tender (from heaving so hard). Also did you find that you had a lot of gas afterwards? And the diarrhea? What meds did they put you on afterwards? I was supposed to get pain killers after the procedure and I couldn't get the script filled because the pharmacy couldn't confirm some things with the doc. So I've been taking Tylenol with codeine, but it doesn't do anything except put me to sleep. How long were you sore? What were your dietary guidelines? I'll be on liquids for two weeks, then soft foods for two weeks. But I'm not sure how much to eat and how often. I still can't tell when I'm full, but that's because I'm still so sore. Everything just hurts--no full feeling. Any thoughts & experiences would be greatly appreciated. There's just not much info on the net about this procedure yet, and I feel kinda lost. Thanks to everyone reading this. Nettie
Duval Diva
on 6/18/08 7:04 am - JACKSONVILLE, FL
Hi i was an little sore had it on a Friday and went  back to work on Tuesday i have an lots of restriction  feel like when i had my Surgery  the very first time i have lost 11 pounds so far since May 16th i was on Liquid for 2 weeks and soft foods and still on soups and mash potatoes i try chicken can not eat it but when i first got surgery back in 2004 of July  it took almost 2 years before i could eat Chicken .
CFR
on 6/18/08 10:15 pm - FL
On June 18, 2008 at 2:04 PM Pacific Time, Duval Diva wrote:
Hi i was an little sore had it on a Friday and went  back to work on Tuesday i have an lots of restriction  feel like when i had my Surgery  the very first time i have lost 11 pounds so far since May 16th i was on Liquid for 2 weeks and soft foods and still on soups and mash potatoes i try chicken can not eat it but when i first got surgery back in 2004 of July  it took almost 2 years before i could eat Chicken .

Hi Duval Diva I see that you live near me. I live in Middleburg, FL. Could you tell me who did the sclerotherapy? I would like the information. I am think about having this done. Was the doctor local Jacksonville or Ocala, Gainsville? My e-mail address [email protected] Connie

JoanneK
on 6/18/08 3:47 pm - CA
Still new.....what is sclerotherapy?
E.J.
on 6/21/08 9:46 pm - Springfield, MO

Nettie, I had sclerotheapy on Wednesday and am feeling pretty good today.  I had liquid painkillers and slept for about a day or two.  I had some gas, but wasn't too sore except when I leaned over a certain way.  Since you live nearby, who did your procedure?  Dr. Scott did mine.  I'm hungry and the jello and protein isn't doing it for me.  Hopefully I will lose weight from the 4 week liquid and soft food diet!  LOL

E.J. ....sitting on the loser's bench!!! 

"People will forget what you said, people will forget
what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel"    Maya Angelou

Nettie D.
on 6/22/08 2:05 pm - Purdy, MO
Hello, Thanks for the replies to my post. It's nice to know that others have gone through this. I'm doing ok, I guess. My muscles are still very tender and I stressed them again tonight. I had to take some pain meds to help with the pain tonight. (I'm kinda loopy, so I hope I make some sense.) I think I feel some restriction now. My pouch is still too tender to actually have more than a few bites at a time. I'm on liquids for two weeks and I do get full, but not for long. I'm not sure if it's actual restriction or if it's from edema (the nurse said it's probably from swelling) EJ--I had Dr. Ramaswamy (sp?) in Columbia do my procedure. I have been able to eat a lot more than normal as well. I felt like I had failed the surgery. I have gotten off of the plan, but I'm ready to take care of it now. Do you attend the Circle of Friends support group in Springfield? Sclerotherapy is a procedure done endoscopically. An acid solution is injected in the stoma to cause more scar tissue and tighten the stoma to allow food to stay in the pouch longer. My doctor's nurse said that it takes 2-3 treatments before the stoma is in the same condition as at the time of surgery, but I'm sure that depends on the individual. My dr requires an appointment with their dietician afterwards and they suggest therapy for any unresolved food issues. Thanks again. Take care Nettie
Most Active