Thoughts on a possible revision?

Deidre V.
on 6/18/08 12:41 am - Havelock, NC
I am 2 years out from RNY, now  I've lost alot of weight and at a good stance with it (from 308 to 136) so that's not the problem.  I am, however, looking into a revision because very, VERY rarely can I eat anything meat related without vomiting..this happens DAILY.  For some reason, I can't wrap my head around the fact that this may be lifelong, if that makes sense. I'm getting ready to seek help from a bariatric professional(my surgeon no longer performs surgery so that's not really a viable option)....this way any problems can be ruled out and we can go from there.  Any thoughts? Thanks! Dede

308 start weight on 7/18/06
258 50 pounds GONE on 9/26/06
208 next goal 100 gone (done on 3/1)
190 dr goal
150 goal weight
135 current

ginau
on 6/18/08 5:01 am - mesa, AZ
So what are you living on ??  How do your labs look?  I know  my protein taste did change a lot ..
Deidre V.
on 6/18/08 6:35 am - Havelock, NC
soft proteins and supplents is pretty much much I can tolerate well...on occasion I can do a salad with a bit of meat on it....My labs are good, so that's not really an issue..maybe I just need to deal with the fact that meat is not going to be a great option for me in the future instead of a revision.....Thanks tho! dede

308 start weight on 7/18/06
258 50 pounds GONE on 9/26/06
208 next goal 100 gone (done on 3/1)
190 dr goal
150 goal weight
135 current

mew6495
on 6/18/08 11:35 am - MI
Up until my 5th year out I had the same problem as you. I could not tolerate hardly any meats and a lot of the times I could not tolerate fish, shrimp etc. This is what had originally got me turning to carbs. I am now 7 years out and I do not have the issue with tolerating meats hardly at all, only occasionally. As a matter of fact I can now tolerate just about anything with the exception of food with high grease content. I do have an occasional bout with the meat intolerance, especially with chicken. Meat has to be very tender and juicy for me to tolerate it well. If it was slightly overdone I had a hard time keeping it down. Are you chewing thoroughly enough? This also caused some of my problem. Like others, my taste for protein and many other foods had also changed after the surgery. I know everyone is different as far as how their system works and what they can and can not tolerate, but it seems to me that as time goes on your body does change and get back to somewhat of a normal state. I would definitely talk to your doctor about your concerns but I would also do a little more research, ensure that you are chewing adequately enough and maybe try to find other sources of protein before making the decision to revise or undo your tool. When I was going through my issues of not tolerating meats so well my PCP recommended that perhaps I try a vegetarian diet. There are many out there and the library is a good source of finding vegetarian diets and recipes. With whatever you decide, I hope all goes well with you. Good Luck.
Crystal_girlost
on 6/18/08 12:04 pm - WV

Have you seen a Gastroenterologist for an Endoscopy?

I work for them and sometimes RNYers come in to be dialated(streached). A stricture may have formed and is causing your problems.

Hope this helps and good luck.

katrinaha
on 6/23/08 2:41 am - Houston, TX
You need to get a scope. I also could not eat dense meat and would throw up as well;  found out I had a Gastric Outlet Obstruction, 2.5 years out from A VBG. Good luck to you, keep us updated!  Katrina
:

cayita63
on 6/27/08 4:54 am - Ft Lauderdale, FL
can u explain me what it was a gastric Outlet obstruction/ yhanks claudia
katrinaha
on 6/27/08 5:16 am - Houston, TX

gastric emptying study often is used when there is a suspicion that there is abnormally delayed emptying of food from the stomach, medically called delayed gastric emptying. Delayed gastric emptying most commonly gives rise to abdominal discomfort after meals, nausea and vomiting. The two most common causes of delayed gastric emptying are gastric outlet obstruction and gastroparesis.

Gastric outlet obstruction refers to a condition in which the narrow channel leading from the stomach into the small intestine through which food passes (called the pylorus) is physically blocked, and, as a result food enters the first part of the small intestine (called the duodenum) slowly or not at all. The most common causes of gastric outlet obstruction are scarring or inflammation of the pylorus from peptic ulcers, cancers of the stomach, or, occasionally, cancers near the pylorus, for example, of the pancreas or duodenum. A diagnosis of gastric outlet obstrution is made by tests such as esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD), abdominal computerized tomography (CT scan), and upper GI series.  Also had this condition, the Doctors weren't sure what came first, however it was not caused by diabetes. Once gastric outlet obstruction has been excluded by appropriate testing as the cause of delayed gastric emptying, physicians then may perform a gastric emptying study to diagnose gastroparesis. Gastroparesis is a condition in which there is delayed gastric emptying, but the delay is not due to obstruction. Rather, it is due to abnormal function of the muscles of the stomach. Normal function of the stomach's muscles is necessary in order to propel food from the stomach and into the small intestine. If the muscles or the nerves that control the muscles are not working normally, food remains in the stomach. Gastroparesis is commonly caused by diseases and medications. The most common cause of gastroparesis is diabetes mellitus

:

Most Active