How long do you fail at the lap band before revision is an option

JSIL
on 6/18/08 11:01 pm
Just wanted to say good luck tomorrow on your surgery!  I hate the band!  Same as you, I want a revision or the band out!  Please keep me informed and let me know how everything goes! 

brandyII
on 6/19/08 5:21 am
Helloitsme, Good luck with your revision tomorrow.  My daughter had an RNY 3 weeks ago and is 19 and is doing well.  She's lost 60 pounds so far and looks like a new girl!  I gained back my 25 and look like an old girl! Is insurance covering your revision?  Have you been having a lot of complications since banding that are band related and not "human error" as they say.  If you get a chance if not I understand, thanks and good luck and health to you tomorrow!  brandyII
      Revised from Lap band 8/22/07 to RNY 6/11/09   Starting weight 259lbs

helloitsme
on 6/19/08 7:56 am - anywhere, TX
Thanks so much everyone for the well wishes! I am hoping that my surgery is uneventful and that I have a speedy recovery. My first band por****ured by the fill doctor causing it to leak, so no fluid would stay in the band; thus no restriction. Before that it was actually working. After I had the second band put in, I did not looose one pound. Decided to have RNY, which I should have done in the first place. Initially I was sold on the band because it was "non-invasive". Wish I had let myself be invaded......lol.
brandyII
on 6/19/08 9:16 am
Sounds like you've been invaded and then some!  Thanks for the info helloitsme, let us know how you're doing once you start feeling better during your recovery!  brandyII.

janiscaldwel
on 6/19/08 12:31 pm - charlestown, IN
Hi Brandy II,  I am also a band patient and I am having my revision this monday!!  I have had the band for 5 years and I weigh as much today as I did when they placed the band.  I have never been able to keep good restriction, I will be tight or even too tight for a week orf two and then I will wake up one day and it's gone and I can eat at will!!  I have had about 25 fills and it still has never gotten me to the sweet spot so I have given up and I am having the RNY this week.  I wish you good .luck in making the right decision for yourself, I know that I am doing the right thing for myself.      Just today I was talking to a girl at my work and she was asking about my surgery and when it was happening and I told her and she whispered to me that she had the RNY 4 years ago.  she looks amazing she told me that she went from a 22 toa size 4.  It really gave me encouragement for Monday.  This is an amazing new chance for me and it could be for you as well!!  Best Wishes.  Janis
brandyII
on 6/19/08 12:39 pm
Thanks Janis and good luck and health to you on your upcoming surgery.  I'm sure you're excited!  I remember being excited when I got the lap band and don't know if I have the courage to go through another surgery. I've probably had 9 fills and unfills in the 9 months I've been banded myself!  Do you mind me asking if insurance is covering your revision? For me I don't know if I would jump in if I had to do it self pay.  As of now I'm trying to build up my self esteem without having lost weight as I've been overweight since childhood and after this failed attempt I may be at my current weight the rest of my life.  If you don't mind me asking if you do no problems either, thanks brandyII.

PekinSal
on 6/20/08 6:07 am - UK

Hi Brandy

I lost weight for about a month after having the band (from being on liquids) then nothing for 2 years - had loads of fills, to the point of being overfilled, and suddenly went from no restriction to being too tight. I then got reflux, waking choking, wild swings in restriction and ended up living on ice cream and putting weight back on.

It was just a big disappointment really - it worked for my husband and hes nearly 60lbs lighter and happy with it. I decided to go for something else, and chose DS because I knew it would cure my diabetes straight away - I needed it to after all the sugar I'd been putting down my throat!

I've been overweight since age 8 too, but although the band not working was partly my fault, it was mostly the band's fault, as I've been proving to myself in the past couple of months! I've lost more in the 10 weeks since the DS than I did in 2 years of the band, and it feels great.

Hope you sort it out, whatever you decide

Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

brandyII
on 6/20/08 10:36 am
Thanks PekinSal, I wrote a while back and you were supportive then too.  I'm glad things are going well for you! My 19 year old just had RNY and has lost over 60 pounds in less than 3 months and it's just amazing.  I'm going to the surgeon's office in about 2 weeks and am going to start discussing this with them.  I think they should know by now there's a prob, don't you, it's almost been 10 months! Thanks take care of your birdies!  brandyII

PekinSal
on 6/20/08 4:23 pm - UK
Give your baby a hug - I wish I'd had the op at that age!

DS revision from failed lapband

brandyII
on 6/21/08 2:43 am
Thanks PekinSal I will, you're sweet!   brandyII

Most Active