How long do you fail at the lap band before revision is an option

brandyII
on 6/17/08 1:15 pm
How long should a person be in a state of failure with their lap band before they speak to their surgeon about revision?
      Revised from Lap band 8/22/07 to RNY 6/11/09   Starting weight 259lbs

slfam
on 6/17/08 1:41 pm - WI
My surgeon suggested a revision to me after 2 years. After three years I had one. I am only 6 weeks out and the weight loss is going SLOWLY but I must say I am glad I got the Band out!
brandyII
on 6/17/08 1:43 pm
Thanks, if you don't mind me asking what issues did you have with the band and what revision surgery did you have, thanks brandyII

slfam
on 6/17/08 1:54 pm, edited 6/17/08 1:55 pm - WI
After about 9 months I began to have GERD and reflux. A couple of months later I started aspirating at night. I was finally unfilled at 1 year and from then on out, every time I was filled to a level to have decent restriction my stoma would rebell and swell almost shut so I had to be unfilled again. It was a roller coaster ride of fills and unfills. I never could get back to my sweet-spot after the first unfill. Also, at 2 years the person doing my fills under flouro suspected a slipped band but it was never confirmed. Just before my 3rd Bandiversary, I did have a confirmed slip - after I ended up in the ER from severe vomiting.  After 1 year I had lost 55 pounds. When I decided to have revision surgery I was back up 40 pounds for a total loss of 15 pounds. The pre-op liquid diet before RNy did help me lose 20 pounds. Since my revision 6 weeks ago I have only lost 15 pounds and it is making me crazy. I know revision surgery causes slower weight gain but I am frustrated beyond belief! But like I said - at least my band is out. It worked great the first 9 months but after that it was nothing but trouble.
brandyII
on 6/17/08 1:59 pm, edited 6/17/08 2:02 pm
That's frustrating for you I'm sure.  I know that I've been frustrated because I gained back all the weight I lost prior to banding and never lost after banding.  My daughter just had RNY and is 3 weeks post op and 60 pounds lighter! I know we're two different people and I do have about 30 years on her but still!  I wonder if it would be as slow for me since I never lost weight on the band, lol.  Well thanks for sharing and good luck to you I'm sure you'll do well, take care brandyII!
JSIL
on 6/18/08 1:39 pm
Hi, I am 14 months out and my doctor & I have talked about a revision.  I am having heartburn, I always get stuck, and throw up daily. (have lost 40 lbs)  I actually woke up the other day from a nap and was choking on something, like heartburn and then my throat hurt for days...SO crazy.  I have been unfilled in the past.  I have 8 1/2 cc's now and go for an upper GI on Friday to look for something, possibly erosion, then he is going to unfill me after he reads the results.  He wants me to possibly try to fill again, but I am going to opt out and just get the band removed.  I am thinking either a revision or possibly just get the band out and see how it goes.  I just feel like the quality of my life has gotten worse with the band because of the vomiting.  I have followed band rules and still get stuck.  The problem for me, is the band lets you eat all the crap food just fine without getting stuck, and in my case the good, healthy food always gets stuck.  I was scared to get the RNY in the beginning, so I went with the band, bad choice.  Anyway that is my story. 

brandyII
on 6/19/08 5:18 am, edited 6/19/08 5:22 am
JSIL Do you have signs of erosion?  I'm the same way when it comes to the sugary fatty foods you get frustrated when you're stuck all the time with the healthy foods naturally your body is going to retaliate and you eat the wrong foods. Will insurance cover your  revision?  I'm not even close to that yet and wouldn't have it removed or revised unless it was covered. Let me know when you get a chance, brandyII.

JSIL
on 6/19/08 12:59 pm
My doctor said the signs I have been having could ******osion, that is why I am going for an upper GI tomorrow.  I will then get completely unfilled.  I want the band out, my doctor said insurance will cover the surgery if I am having problem after problem and I do.  I am just sick of throwing up all the time, and eating like crap because that is all that stays down. 

brandyII
on 6/19/08 1:08 pm
Wow,  good luck with the upper GI tomorrow.  Don't feel bad about the unfill either, you will probably still feel some restriction but at least you'll be able to eat some healthy foods again like SALADS!! and protein. I went down to 2 ccs for a while out of 10 and it was such a relief to be able to eat good foods again and not have to pb them up! Keep in touch about your removal and hopefully revision etc... take care brandyII.

helloitsme
on 6/18/08 8:25 pm - anywhere, TX
I was 13 months out when I requested a revision. Have not lost one pound and had lots of other problems. I am going from band to RNY tomorrow! I am excited and scared at the same time. If you are not satisfied with your band seek a revision now. I should have done this long ago. Good luck to you.
Most Active