My Reflux is Killing Me!

MARCIAM
on 6/17/08 8:54 am - Sayville, NY
I just can't stand this reflux any more... I can't sleep at night and I am miserable all day. My gastro doctor switched me to Protonix. I have been taking it every day and it does nothing - or would it be even worse without it??? I called my surgeon today, who is away at a conference. His PA called him and called me to say that Dr. Cussatti wants her to see me first thing in the morning. I still don't have the insurance approval for the RNY revision but my doctor wants the PA to see me to determine if this is getting to be an emergency and that maybe I NEED to have my band taken out NOW!  I just don't know what to do. What if they decide that I have to have my band out soon and then wait for insurance approval for the RNY which would mean 2 more surgeries? I feel lousy and don't even know what to think. If you guys have any advice or thoughts I would appreciate it. I always appreciate your support. I trust my doctor but I just wish that he wasn't away...
Marcia 297/169 so far/140
RNY on 9/22/08
My life is starting over & yours can too!

CLemperle
on 6/17/08 11:07 am - CA
I understand your situation.  I have gone through the same thing.  I have had the band for 4 years.  And for 2 years I was suffering because of reflux, then couldn't keep anything down and was throwing up multiple times.  However since I moved and changed the state and live in and the job, my new insurance didn't allow me to get the band out.  HERE is the GOOD NEWS!!!!!  After a couple of years of trying to figure it out and suffering....now only being able to eat fatty foods which has put weight on me ...even though I barely eat and throw up.....I HAVE FOUND THE ANSWER!  With most or all insurances if you are having a problem with your band, and it is causing a health issue, it is a must to have the insurance cover it.  The GREAT news.....when they are in there, most doctors will ask you if want the bypass.  Originally I said NO WAY...but now because i am almost back at my high weight...i am doing it!  They will do it for free while they are in there taking the band out.  Also..I got an endoscopy and upper gi and found that my band had slipped and I have a hernia because of it.  I understand your pain and I am so sorry you have to go through this.  Please feel free to email me.  I am new on this and still trying to figure it all out myself.  Cristy
MARCIAM
on 6/17/08 1:28 pm - Sayville, NY
Thanks Cristy! I'm really hoping that my problems may be a reason for the insurance company to approve the revision. I appreciate your support. Good luck to you! I hope that you do well!
RNY on 9/22/08

(deactivated member)
on 6/17/08 8:34 pm - on the border, MA
I feel so bad for you Marcia, I had told Alyssa that it had gotten so bad for me, I would lay across my bed face down and hang my head over a bucket, just so the stuff could run out instead of choking me.  I know you don't want 2 surgeries... but if it's an emergency you have no choice.  Remember, I had one on Wednesday to reposition, and Monday to remove... Having the reflux, oh boy, I couldn't think of much else besides how aweful I felt.  Removing the band was a breeze, but I'll tell you ahead of time, the port area is painful, because they have to strip down the scar tissue.  It's going to be sore, burning, itchy... it can make you cranky for a while.  I hope you are well real soon, but at that point, my Nexium didn't help... you esophagus is letting you know something is wrong.  Hang in there
MARCIAM
on 6/19/08 2:26 pm - Sayville, NY
Thanks Deb! I am just so sick of this. I can't enjoy anything I eat or drink. In the mean time the PA said I don't have to have emergency surgery. I guess I just get to be miserable a while longer...
RNY on 9/22/08

Most Active