What was your main reason to seek a revision?

lovejj01
on 6/12/08 2:32 pm - Minneapolis, MN
I am 3 years out now. I started at 280 and got down to 217. I am now back up to 250. In the beginning I followed all the rules and was very strict with what I put in my mouth. I am now going back and forth trying to figure out what I should do as far as getting this weight off and keeping it off for good.  My main problem is that I am always hungry and eat when I get that empty stomach feeling. Part of me wants to question my surgeon about the specifics of how much he bypassed etc, but then again I am embarrassed and have lost hope of ever losing this weight.  I know my next move should be to track what I put in my mouth, but I just need to hear from others what made you consider a revision, or what has helped you to succeed and fight this weight battle? Thanks
(deactivated member)
on 6/12/08 4:25 pm - AZ
I just got revision surgery last week for band to sleeve.  I just couldn't handle the band anymore although weight loss was not an issue, I am at goal. I worked really hard, hard cardio 1-2 hours daily, calories at 600 daily. Good luck to you!
darnell239
on 6/12/08 9:29 pm - Columbia, SC
I think you should set up an appointment to have an upper GI and an endoscopy so that the doctor can see what is going on from the inside.  Your pouch or stoma could have stretched out a lot.
lovejj01
on 6/13/08 9:31 am - Minneapolis, MN
Thanks. I know for the most part it is my fault, but even 6 months after surgery my loss had slowed and I called my doctor and his nurse told me to exercise more and see a nutritionist, soI just gave up from there.
M. Hall
on 6/12/08 10:52 pm - Norcross, GA
I can honestly say that I went thru the same thing. I always felt hungry. I was eating every hour on the hour, and it was no longer small meals. It felt like my food was goin straight thru me. If you are keeping up with the posts on this forum, you will see that alot of us graze and have the same problem as you. So i would give the same advice and go to see your Doc. I had an endoscopy done in April that showed a malfunction and on tuesday june 17th I am going into surgery to have the repairs done along with a revision.
lovejj01
on 6/13/08 9:34 am - Minneapolis, MN
Thanks for your input. I am going to call the office again to see if I can have some tests done to see what could be the problem. I have never vomitted, or been sick since surgery. I want a revision to be my very last option if all else fails.
Kristin S.
on 6/13/08 7:55 am - Phoenixville, PA
I had a VBG in January of 2000.  I vomited all the time, pretty much from the day I had the surgery for EIGHT YEARS.  I feel pretty stupid about not going back to the doc, but I thought this was what was supposed to happen when you ate too much!   I only lost 40 lbs, and learned quickly how to eat slider foods.  I slathered everything with sauce, butter, or mayo in order to get it to stay down.  I would vomit because I ate too much or the wrong stuff, or failed to chew, then go back and eat more once I had vomited, since now it would seem that my band relaxed and allowed me to eat.  I would also eat large quantities over an hour...not limiting myself to stopping when I felt full...just waiting for me to vomit or the food to flush out of my pouch by drinking liquids.  Needless to say, not only did I gain weight, but the vomiting got worse until my stress incontinence was totally out of control.  I had an upper GI series which showed GERD/reflux and a stretched pouch, and a upper endoscopy which showed gastritis from all the hurling.   When I had my revision, my surgeon had to unstick my liver from my stomach due to many many adhesions.  He also noted my band was way too tight, and actually removed my entire old pouch with the band and made a new one.   My problem was both mechanical and mental.  The VBG was just not a good operation for me.  I wish I had had the RNY back then.  I responded to someone else's post earlier today about the five day pouch test for people who had RNY but are having trouble...it helps get you back on track...especially if there isn't anything mechanically wrong with your surgery.  It's worth a try...who wants to go through another major surgery??  Don't misunderstand me....if something is truly wrong with your original WL surgery, go for it.  But if it is just a bad case of backsliding...maybe think it through.    This time, I am trying hard to follow the rules...I track my food daily, and even though I am not perfect, I am giving it my best shot.

Check out my blog !

mew6495
on 6/13/08 12:28 pm - MI
I am 7 years out from an RNY. I have gained 50 back and have a couple of health problems starting to return. Part of what got me in trouble was carbs and grazing. About 6 months ago something in my system changed. I can now tolerate anything that I could not prior to the 6 months. I have been eating very little over the past 6 months and have increased my activity level and still I am finding it very difficult to loose any weight. I agree with the others, request an endoscopy and upper GI. You may have staple line disruption which has stopped you from loosing more weight or any number of other things. But you will never know until you find out for sure and if something is found with these test you can use them to get insurance approval for a revision. Also, if you want the specifics about what was exactly done to you during your surgery you can request a copy of your "surgery notes" from the hospital that the operation was performed at. Each doctor is required to dictate what has been done during the surgery. I just recently went and requested a copy of mine from 7 years ago. It did not cost me anything. The notes were detailed and mentioned how much intestine was bypassed, that my stomach was transected and even every step that was taken during the procedure. It was actually quite interesting. All I needed was proof of ID and they handed it over.
babsintx
on 6/15/08 5:56 am - GA
Hi,

Had a band, it slipped and caused problems for 3 years of the five years I had it. Had it removed and changed to a sleeve. Loving my sleeve so far at 3 months out. I did lose quite a bit with the band -155 pounds, but regained some of the weight because of an empty band.

Babs

Most Active