Embarrased to admit to DR i want Revision

neicey
on 7/18/08 12:28 pm - TOLEDO, OH
I am so glad for this topic. I had my surgery 3 yrs ago, started at 278 and got down to only 198. In the meantime I lost my job and benefits right after surgery and tried to hurry in for a followup before the benefits were gone and then I had no more contact with the surgeon. I had issues like a bleeding ulcer and was hospitalized, low iron, almost no b12 in my  body and then the weighloss stopped.  After all that I started a new job twice that sent my nerves through the roof and the over grazing began and I have gained back 25 pounds and was able to take 10 lbs back off but then it always stops.
I am so embarrassed to even tell people anymore about my surgery and recently ran into people that knew I had it done and found them looking at me up and down and I could just read their minds. So today I contacted my surgeons office who is now retired and asked for a closer referrel. They took my info and will get back to me but I had called a local revision doctor and they told me over the phone without even seeing me that they couldn't do a revision because I wasn't fat enough so I lost hope and decided to just try it myself but I know I'll only get so far and I decided I would have to be OK with being heavy. So what ever comes of this referrel with a new surgeon so be it.
Zena Romy
on 7/18/08 2:52 pm - Canada
Hey guys.....sorry to hear all your sad stories, but it made me feel better because I am in the same boat.  I had an RNY in 2000 and lost 130 lbs.  Have no gained back 40 (and counting) and can eat TONS with no feeling of fullness at all.  After much research, I am getting a lap band over my RNY on Aug 6th.

First of all, even if you had been PERFECT on your eating plan, your pouch and stoma would still stretch.  It is not your fault.  every day you can eat that tiny amount more.  Multiply that by 8 years and ...voila!  40 lbs.

There are several revisons out there.  I chose lap band because over time, my stomach WILL stretch yet again, and I can just adjust my band.  If I get another surgery, I will be in the same boat a few years from now and seeking yet another surgery.  Also, having had an RNY, I really want to avoid more major surgery if I can.

Please don't feel bad about yourself.  You were a fighter before and got yourself the surgery.  Once a fighter, always a fighter, so start doing your research and choose the best option for YOU.

One suggestion - be very careful about the "stomaphyx".  It is relatively new here in the US, but have been around a long time and been unsuccessful in Europe.  It certainly works....but after a short while, the stoma and pouch stretch yet again, so you are right back where you started.

Take care, good luck in what ever you choose, and please keep us posted!
Zena
Most Active