Embarrased to admit to DR i want Revision

elfqueen
on 6/13/08 5:14 am - Rochester, NH
Hi, I had my surgery in 2004. i did so well i went from 263 lbs to 125 and i actually got into a size 1 jean at one point. i was on cloud nine. i was on a couple of medicines that made me gain some of the weight back as well as i started to eat sugar again. well, it's now 2008 and i weigh 218 lbs. i have stopped going to support groups 2 years ago because i was embarrased to let them know i was gaining the weight back after they were all so proud of me. i don't know what happened. I would like to have a revision but i do not think i will be able to have one because i can't bring myself to call the DR and admit that i have gained weight. i have anxiety problems anyway and this does not help. everytime i look in the mirror i want to cry. i know what happened and i know what not to do to prevent it from happening again but i am afraid that they will say hey you had your chance and blew it. too bad. i don't even know if they do revisions yet. but i don't want to live this way and they excess flap skin from the weight loss is gross and nothing fits right and i am just sad about all this. i don't know what to do. has anyone else been through anything close to this? i just feel like such a failure. sorry to ramble on but i haven't talked to anyone because i don't think they could understand how i feel.
peacefuldaizy
on 6/13/08 7:46 am - South of Buffalo, NY
Honey, please go to the DS forum ... That is your best bet if you have a revision.  Before you submit yourself to another surgery, however, you might want to join a support group.  If you are not exercising, START!  I would make a serious attempt to get control of my eating and lifestyle before I had another wls, but I certainly would have a DS if I had to have a revision.   Many people with GB struggle to maintain their weight loss ... You are soooo not alone.  Without exercise and on-going support, I am afraid it's very difficult to keep the weight off permanently. Hugs, Annette

darnell239
on 6/13/08 10:00 am - Columbia, SC
I can relate to your story.  Believe me you are not alone.  I had surgery in 2000 and was 245 post-op got down to 160 for about a year.  To make a long story short I am now 221 pounds.  I feel ashamed about gaining the weight back but that is hind sight.  If you don't want to go to your previous doctor find a new surgeon who has a lot of experience with revision surgeries.  There are surgeons out there who can and will help you.  Don't focus on your shame and guilt.  That is in your past.  You have made the first step by coming to this forum, research your options and take control of your situation. 
Barbara B.
on 7/18/08 9:42 am - Bandon, OR
I also had my surgery in 2001 and am on the gain.  I have been away from the board for so long that all these new procedures sound greek like to me!  I had a consult last week to see about putting a lap band on my Roux en y. We have not done the egd yet and do not know why my appetite is endless now....Has anybody any feed back on the pros and cons to putting a lap band on to promote restriction now? Thanks! BARB
tulagirl
on 6/13/08 10:02 am - Schenectady, NY
You sound like me.  I started at 350 went to 213 and now I am 290 almost six years after my surgery.  I just found out today that the stoma from my gastric bypass is so large that things just go straight through and to my intestine.  I had an upper GI today due to pain in my abdomen and this is what the radiologist told me.  I believe that my next step is to go to a surgeon.  I moved only 10 months after my surgery and have not had follow up because no surgeon would see me if I didn't have my surgery by them.   I feel like such a failure.  I would like to believe that it is all my surgeons fault but I know it is me.  I too was on meds that made me gain weight.  I got pregnant and only gained 18 pounds and lost it all by 2 weeks after I had my daughter and then it was all down hill from there.  I also do not know what to do.   I hope that you go to your Doctor and speak to them.  I now know I am not the only one dealing with this and I can't wait to get some answers. 
(deactivated member)
on 6/13/08 8:30 pm - on the border, MA

I understand how your feel, I had my band removed and I haven't seen my band surgeon in a year, and I would avoid him like the plague because I don't want to dissappoint him after my 80 lb gain from losing my band....  but I am looking in to revision and I have to ask you a question, because your experience and what the surgeon said is completely different. I questioned her and possible weight gain with RNY, and she said the only way to gain back would be to constantly graze, that the pouch can't stretch more that 6 oz or so....  Now, I am considering the sleeve or the RNY....  but what do you attribute to your gain?  Is her information wrong? 

Barbara B.
on 7/18/08 9:50 am - Bandon, OR
I did so well for so many years, that I actually believed I could once again eat anything I want and as often as I want. However, that is not the case.  I won't know until my egd what they see as far as pouch size, but I can eat as much as my friends who never had wls of any kind. And I can eat two hours later..and snack. Not that I am proud of this, but thru the years, I avoided that. And now? I cannot control my appetite at all.  Otherwise, I would not even consider a band on top of a roux en y.
cayita63
on 6/13/08 10:11 am - Ft Lauderdale, FL
I know how you feel, please keep yourself together, Today I saw Ophra and Bob said " It is not the  weight that matters"  claudia
(deactivated member)
on 6/13/08 10:53 am - AZ
I really know how you feel. I did not even know about revision. Glad you are going to do something about it. Dawn
mew6495
on 6/13/08 12:13 pm - MI
Take it easy on your self. We are our own worst critics. I too am in the same boat you are. I have gained 50 lbs back from a 2001 RNY. I am seeking a revision as well and have started the process. I researched the DS but did not feel it was for me. For myself, I did not want the higher risk of a total take down of the pouch and did not want the large portion of my stomach removed in the event some day in an emergency event if I should need it again. I live in Michigan but am going to travel to AZ as it is important for me to have a Dr. with a lot of revision experience since these surgeries tend to be more risky. Dr. S and I have agreed that we will do an extended Rny. This way he does not have to touch my pouch but will shorten my common channel much like the DS patient has. From what I have researched and from what I am told this is what gives the DSers the better long term results. He has agreed to also evaluate all my "plumbing" during the procedure to ensure everything is ok. Good Luck to you and remember you are not alone.
Most Active