Talk to Doc today after pre-op and now I am very discouraged.

M. Hall
on 6/11/08 7:50 am - Norcross, GA
Well my hopes were all up high, scheduled for surgery tuesday the17th, pre-op done and everything and then he lays it on me. He tells me that he tells all his revision patients this. If my scar tissue is not soft or is too hard to get thru then he will have to make a determination whether or not to pull out. But of course he wont know until he goes in. So I may wake up in the hospital with nothing done. He said sometimes scar tissue is so bad that you have trouble breaking thru and if the doc's try it they inturn may harm the patient. So if anyone is out there that has had this problem please respond or even an encouraging story that will just make me think more positive about this whole situation is greatly needed. I have had 3 surgeries do to complications so there is scar tissue.  But I sure dont want to wake up and for my family or the Doc to tell me that nothing can be done.
ginau
on 6/11/08 8:04 am - mesa, AZ
What  is he planning on doing ?? Laproscopic?    Dr  did mine open because of  Scar tissue and  Hernia's   I got a butt load of stuff done and taken care of at one time !  enough said - Look at it this way .. If it's meant to be .. You will wake up with   new plumbing!  sitting on the loosers bench .  and  looking forward to a new wardrobe!    I will be saying a prayer  for you and waiting for your post of good news !!!
M. Hall
on 6/11/08 8:45 am - Norcross, GA
Thanks Gina but he is doing it open and I am suppose to have a butt load of stuf done too. My mom said the same thing if its meant to be it will be but you know I will definitely keep you posted.
Monique H.
on 6/11/08 8:55 am, edited 6/11/08 8:56 am
Okay are you ready for some encouragement? On July 21, 1990, I was in a car accident. From that car accident I had to have over 20 surgeries. Don't get me wrong they weren't all on my stomach, but I did have so many on my stomach that I no longer have a belly button. At first they kept cutting around it, but they did that so much that they finally ended up going through it. I said all that to say this, I had way more than 3 surgeries on my stomach and was still able to have rny last year. Don't let it get you down. Just keep looking forward to your big day as I am mine. I still haven't gotten a surgeon to do my revision, but I'm not going to stop looking. Congratulations on your upcoming surgery. Now instead of spending time worrying spend it going to look for some great protein supplements cause you're going to need them.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
cayita63
on 6/11/08 10:19 am - Ft Lauderdale, FL
Keep your hope high. Gina would you please tell me about ur whole hernia issue, tge dr just found one thaks claudia
darnell239
on 6/11/08 10:28 am - Columbia, SC
My words of encouragement is you pray through this thing!No matter which way it goes everything happens for a reason.  God willing if this surgery is suppose to go through it will.  If it doesn't you still don't loose the faith!
Janelle S.
on 6/11/08 10:49 am - Metairie, LA
I had my original RNY in 2002. It was open, I had a leak and an abcess. I was left open to heal with a wound vac. 2 months ago I had a laparoscopic revision of my stoma and incisional hernia repair. My doctor was very honest with me from the beginning. He said that sometimes the scar tissue is like cement and if he couldn't get through he wouldn't be able to do the revision. I asked a lot of questions including open vs lap. He felt he had a better chance lap. I also felt that if I woke up and he didn't do it that I would be very disappointed (devastated) but that he had tried 110% and it wasn't meant to be. I had prepared my whole family that the longer it took, the better. That meant he was working his way through scar tissue. When I woke up 5 hours later HE HAD DONE IT! I couldn't believe it. I've never been so happy. He said I had a lot of scar tissue but it wasn't too difficult to get through. I hope this gives you hope that your surgeon can do this for you. Good luck. I'll be praying for you, Janelle

Most Active