Just thought about revision

sspain04
on 6/11/08 5:18 pm, edited 5/16/11 1:14 am - NC
Kristin S.
on 6/11/08 10:28 pm - Phoenixville, PA

I feel your pain, I really do.   But in reading your post it seems clear that you admit that you are purposely trying to "out eat" your pouch!  I'm sure I won't be too popular, but I'm not really convinced you need a revision.  I think you might need to get some therapy to help you stop sabotaging yourself.   I think it would also be a good idea to do the five day pouch test...and go back to basics.  I recently had my surgery revised from a VBG to an RNY.   It was not pretty.   My original VBG was just not a good procedure for me, but like you, I developed a way of out eating my pouch repeatedly, and vomiting nearly every day from over stuffing myself.   If you are really on a mission for a revision, you will want to go see your surgeon who will most likely do an upper GI series and endoscopy, to see what's going on with your pouch.   If there really is a problem, getting approval isn't that hard.  But please, before you put yourself through major surgery again, make a real effort to get back on track physically and mentally.  It's very easy to label yourself a failure or your surgery a failure and convince yourself that the only way out is another surgery.  Please try again.  Try to work with your pouch first.  You may not think it still works...but you need to get back on track and find out.   Visit the main RNY board for help and suggestions from those just having surgery and those who are veterans.  Good Luck!!

Check out my blog !

nan c
on 6/12/08 8:48 am - Brooklyn, NY

Hi,

What is the 5-day pouch test?

Nan-C

Kristin S.
on 6/12/08 10:53 am - Phoenixville, PA
http://www.5daypouchtest.com/ Check this link out...it details what it is and how it works...also why people in this situation should give it a try. Kristin

Check out my blog !

charleston-mom
on 6/11/08 10:31 pm
I don't mean to be harsh - but what exactly do you want them to revise? WLS is just a tool, and even if you have a revision, you're going to need to follow the guidelines set originally for your surgery in 2005, i.e., no eating the wrong things or more than you should. Even if you get a revision (and I doubt they'll do it), you'll still regain if you don't get a handle on why you're overeating and try to change that. Luckily - you've only regained 40 pounds. I doubt your BMI is high enough to qualify for a revision unless you have a staple line disruption or something is wrong with your original surgery. Since you don't have that much to lose (although I know it's really hard), what about getting some counseling first to deal with why you're still turning to food, and meet with a nutritionist to get back on track and see if you can lose it on your own? Revisions, especially covered by insurance, are usually in situations where something has actually gone wrong with the surgery, more than someone going back to old habits. I don't think it's likely it would be covered, and I think you might have trouble finding a doctor to do the surgery. I do know how hard it is for people to keep the weight off, but I think if you get back on track and do what you did when you first had your surgery, you can get it off again. Your tool is still there. It's so hard, but the real jist of this surgery is that if we don't get a handle on our habits, all the revisions in the world won't make us successful. It will just come right back. Try to come here for support, dust yourself off, join a gym, get back to your early post-op eating habits. 40 pounds isn't so much, and I definitely wouldn't risk another surgery to lose 40 pounds. We're all here for you, cheerleaders on the sidelines! I'd try some counseling and meet with a nutritionist. Maybe try to get into a local bariatric support group too so you can get back into the excitement of losing the weight, along with the support of people in real life who can bouy you up! Good luck!
AmyBeth :)
on 6/12/08 6:23 am - Fort Smith, AR
Hey I just now came on this forum for the first time ever and here you are, I wish you had a minute to talk to me. AmyBeth
charleston-mom
on 6/12/08 11:32 pm
I sent you a PM, Amybeth. Glad to talk anytime!
Most Active