Advise Please!!!

Janelle S.
on 6/9/08 9:33 am - Metairie, LA
I had an open RNY and a laparoscopic revision with lots of scar tissue. I am also a nurse. I work in surgery and recovery. Lance is accurate. My surgeon explained to me that it is easier to see everything inside with the lap instruments than with 4 hands inside of you (him and assissant). I have watched many physicians perform lap and open surgeries. It is all about the skill of the surgeon. The surgeon also has to know what to look for as far as complications go. There have been patients who have had horrible experiences with open and lap surgery. There is always the risk of complications. You just have to go with the surgeon and procedure that you are most comfortable with. I agree that this surgeon is not the right one for you. You should have total confidence in your surgeon and you need to feel comfortable enough to ask him anything. There are lots of surgeons who do revisions. Keep looking. It will be easier when they know you have already been approved. Good luck, Janelle

ALABAMA
on 6/9/08 9:46 pm - STONE MOUNTAIN, GA
call vanderbelt university medical center 
rozannadanna
on 6/10/08 10:07 am - Pensacola, FL
If you're near Pensacola FL , Dr. Jeffrey Lord does Revisions. He's very experienced with revisions. & a great doctor.
M. Hall
on 6/10/08 11:34 am - Norcross, GA

I agree with Gina too. First and foremost you should look for another doctor because he doesnt have your best interest at heart. I think what was trying to be said in these messages is that you need to be open to new things.  I know that you prefer lap, but if you cant find a surgeon that does it then look for a Doc that does it open, you may have better chances. What I found out when I looked was that there wasnt alot of Doc's to do revisions lap because of scar tissue. I had open surgery and now I am going to have a open revision. Whether you do it lap or open it still is still up to the man above on how it turns out. So good luck on your journey and keep us posted.

wlscand09
on 6/11/08 1:18 am - Tickfaw, LA
Well okay I retract my "bad advice" statement. But I'm still holding that lap, if possible in your condition, is the best way to go. Also you should always look at both sides of the story, like I said. I indeed realize we're all adults, and I do apologize for my quick remarks w/out censorship. Mostly just find a new doctor, he seems to be a tad uninterested in your case and kind of fidgety in my opinion.
JRinAZ
on 6/11/08 1:59 am - Layton, UT
Hi there, I've been following this thread with interest; but wanted to register another point of view.  .....  "If" you have researched a surgeon for your Revision and have found favorable information (happy, successful patients, very experienced, very knowledgeable, offers you options taylored for your health issues, etc.), then perhaps we should trust their recommendation for whether a surgery is BEST done open or lap.  I would NOT trust any doc to do a lap if he has recommended an open and vice versa.   We should want THEM to feel confident in their approach to our fix!  That in turn gives us confidence in the entire journey!   Revisions are definitely a riskier surgery than anything we had done the first time around.  If someone's body and health warrant a lap revision then GREAT!  But, some people have medical issues or past surgeries that would definitely call for OPEN!  For instance, a surgeon  who is known for revisions, almost always does them lap, no matter what.  He does do open on those who need to get in and out of anesthesia as quick as possible or who have had so many prior surgeries that "cleaning up" must be done.  ........  I think the bottom line with the original post was that her surgeon wasn't listening to anything she was requesting and apparently didn't feel like her wishes coincided with his strong suits.  .....  way too many Red Flags to stay with that guy!  I think we all plan to have our "second chance" be our LAST and final success!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

(deactivated member)
on 6/11/08 3:52 am - CA
Nurse, Take a look at all the info here on this revision site. On the left side of my screen I see, under Revision Weight Loss Surgery Infomation a section that discusses the revision to a D/S. Perhaps contact the writer.
Nurse343
on 6/11/08 10:52 am - Colorado Springs, CO
Nurse to Nurse it tooke me a year to find someone who does revisions and my insurance as most pay for revisions if your bmi is up and symptoms etc.  Do not go to this jerk you wont be happy.  I had the impossible a VBG to a lapband. 
Most Active