now had the scleratherapy twice

linda249
on 6/7/08 2:03 pm - xenia, IL
I have had the scleratherapy now twice and Dr. said maybe need it again but I do think it is working he said he went a little lean on it the first time but he said this time he would be more agressive but my stoma was twice the size it should be so if I need to I will have it done again because I had stopped losing and I want to lose at least 50 to 60 more lbs. and the scale had not moved in about a year I had not gained but was not losing either, he said he is doing a lot of these procedures now this is done on the RNY people when the stoma has enlarged and he said sometimes it does for no known reason  I wa just getting too much food going thru and that is why we done the scleratherpy
Gina_Fife
on 6/8/08 1:25 am - Bozeman, MT
Hi Linda. Is this covered by insurance? Is this in-patient or out-patient? Do you feel restriction at all like the initial RNY?
lori86
on 6/8/08 12:11 pm - Bothell, WA
Hi Linda,
Yes, my insurance has paid 100% of all my procedures...and not one of them even cost over $2500. If I am remembering correctly my insurance was only charged $1500-$1800 per procedure...huge difference from I hear other drs are charging for similar ones.

Any ways, this is done out patient. You are put to sleep but only for the procedure. As soon as the dr is done you are awake. For the procedure, prep and recovery room you are only there for 3 - 4 hours.

As far as feeling restriction like when I first had my RNY...well I remember being in "extreme" pain back then. My wls had us do liquids for first 3 months then food the consistancy as baby food for 3 months then slowly add back regular food. With this yes I can instantly tell when I eat. I have totally gone back to my pouch rules. I don't drink 30 min prior to or after I eat. Yesterday, I ate some spicy food and took a sip and I thought I was going to die. That was exactly like right after my initial surgery. Just taking a sip I had to wait 20 min before I could even take a few more bites.

To give you a better idea of how much I personally can eat...have you had the frozen w****chers calzones? They are like 290 cal. and taste great. Well, I can only eat 1/2 of one and if I want to eat the rest I have to wait about 35 - 40 min or it does hurt because I get too full. Last thing I want to do is restretch everything
It depends on how thirsty I am if I even eat the rest of it or save it till the next day. I dring a ton of water so it is really hard for me not to drink with meals let a lone have to wait over an after I begin a meal.

Please feel freel to ask me any questions. I do ck the board once or twice a day so I try to reply right away.

Warmest Wishes,
Lori
Gina_Fife
on 6/8/08 12:22 pm - Bozeman, MT
I guess I'm a little confused. Who does this? Does your bariatric surgeon do it or another doctor? And if it's a gastro-doctor, did you need a referral first? Or do you just walk in to the doctor and say "I need schlerotherapy"? If I could feel restriction that would be great. I haven't been to a doctor yet since my doc is 1300 miles away and the nearest bariatric surgeon is 2 hours away.  I guess I will google sclerotherapy to get a better idea of what it is. Thanks for the help. Gina
lori86
on 6/8/08 1:06 pm - Bothell, WA
Gina,
Maybe since your dr is so far away talk with your pcp. Let them know the issues you are having and they can order an upper endoscopy. No matter what you need to have this done so the dr knows the size of your pouch, stoma, etc. At that time you can bring up having the sclerotherapy done. It is primarily "not" done by a wt loss surgeon. From what I am learning those that have their surgeons do this pay a lot more, etc. My GI has done mine and I never paid anything. It can take up to 6 procedures to fully get your pouch and stoma back to the size they should be but there is absolutely no down time.

Feel free to ask me any additional questions. I had this done 3x 2 yrs ago and I absolutely loved it.

Lori
linda249
on 6/9/08 3:09 pm - xenia, IL
My bariatric surgeon was also 2 hours away but it was so worth it to drive the 2 hours. Read Lori's post on here just below as she explains it VERY well and that is exactually as it is and it is done as an out patient also and you dont stay very long after the procedure email me if you want to know any more at [email protected]
linda249
on 6/8/08 12:57 pm - xenia, IL
yeah you sound pretty much the same as I do  with the procedure  and I have not had to pay anything yet either I have medicare and unicare
specialwalnut
on 6/20/08 9:16 am - Bedford, VA
Hi Linda, I forgot to ask, I am also on medicare, do you know if special wording had to be done by your Dr. for it to be approved by medicare?  Thanks again Sonia
linda249
on 6/8/08 12:59 pm - xenia, IL
Yes it is covered by insurance the insurance said as long as it was ordered by the DR. it would be covered and medicare also said the same. I had it done at about 8:45 and I was out before noon same day and yes you do feel restriction but he also said he might have to do it one more time but I had some pain killer meds and I dont remember everything he said
lori86
on 6/8/08 12:01 pm - Bothell, WA
Hi Linda,
I am so happy this is going well for you. I am so happy with my results and have never had any problems. My GI doctor did the same as yours my first time. He said he wanted to see how I would react also then we proceeded with the other 2 prodecures.

Congrats again

Lori
Most Active