Any Success Stories on Lap RNY to Lap Band?

rozannadanna
on 6/6/08 11:45 pm - Pensacola, FL

He all, I had RNY back in 2002 and  lost 150 lbs but  have gained 50 of it back. As of now I still have 100+lbs to reach my goal. My doctor has recommended having the band over my existing pouch. He says this is the safest method and that  in my case the results would be about the same as with any other revision procedure. I've been hearing some disheartening stories about this method and that it doesn't produce very good results. My question is are there any success stories out there from those who have had LAP over RNY?    Roz

darnell239
on 6/7/08 6:30 am - Columbia, SC
I have also heard mixed reviews about lapbands over bypass.  One thing to keep in mind is that you already have a small pouch and a lapband over the pouch may not produce the results you want.  Have you considered having a distal RNY?  That may give you better results.
rozannadanna
on 6/7/08 12:43 pm - Pensacola, FL
Yes, In fact the distal RNY is what I was going to have but I saw another doctor and he recommended the band since it was safer. He said that there wasn't much there to work with because of how my first surgery was done. My pouch is very stretched so I'm tying to be optimistic that the band is the right way to go, but after reading some of the posts I'm concerned that I won't lose as much as I'd like to. I'm thinking about talking to the doctor again since there seem to be quite a few folks who haven't had real good results.
pepsi98
on 6/7/08 10:39 pm - Norwich, CT
I will be having a band put over my old gastric bypass...I haven't heard  of many people that had it done, but for me it is a viable option.  I also haven't heard of failure with it either.  What little I have heard though is it is a good option and Dr. Curry (lap band forum) has done about a dozen of them with the numbers moving in the right direction for these patients.  Sooooooo I hope ot be on the losers bench soon!
rozannadanna
on 6/8/08 12:33 pm - Pensacola, FL
Good luck to you and I hope to join you on that losers bench!
barbarabrewer
on 6/11/08 1:16 am - TX
I will be having Lap band over bypass on the 19th of June.  We will see!  I just know that you have to remind yourself that you have to make the life style changes.  The protein first, don't drink 30 minutes before or after and most of all exercise. Stayed plugged into WLS groups for help and motivation, see your nutritionist if needed and your therapist to help work on your head...Anyway, that is what I will be doing this time to lose it and maintain it. Please pray that all goes well with my revision. Barbara Brewer
Most Active