need your help and experience

karianne
on 6/9/08 4:54 am - Marlborough, MA
Revision on 04/05/12
Hi Deb, My good friend had her band removed just over a year ago.  She lost a lot of weight but like you her band slipped and needed to be removed.  She thought she could keep the weight off but quickly went up over 200lbs again.  So she got a revision to RNY approved because the band "malfunctioned".  She was 195lbs the day of her revision and today she is 160lbs and feeling great. Check your insurance policy to see if there is a specific exclusion for the sleeve.  I can't imagine no policy covers it so I would call them.  But don't exclude other WLS options, it would be aweful to have to wait another 6 months, that means another 6 months you may gain additional weight.  Good luck, Karianne

HW-244, SW-234, CW-207
4/8/04 Lap-band-Goal weight for 5 yrs, Tummy Tuck 6/23/08
Lap-band Leak 4/2011, Revision to Gastric Bypass 4/5/12

(deactivated member)
on 6/9/08 5:01 am - on the border, MA
Thanks for the info, yeah it is real easy to slip back to old eating patterns.  I don't have a choice, the insurance co is making me do their 6month program, I am considering RNY also.  Thanks, and keep cool!
ap7yrs
on 6/12/08 8:41 pm - usedtobe, NY
Hi Deb, If you want the sleeve and you want insurance to pay for it, check with Dr. Lautz at B&W.  When I spoke to him recently, they were starting a new sleeve program.  His office advocates tirelessly with the insurance companies.  If it's possible to get it covered, they'll do it.  I can't recommend him highly enough.  He's very experienced and comfortable with revisions.  I'm sorry about your weight re-gain.  I recently had to cancel my revision from lap band to RNY for a family crisis and to tell you the truth I'm a little relieved.  I was scared out of my mind.  I think I might think about a sleeve with Dr. Lautz when I revisit the issue in a few weeks.  I'll look for your progress, keep pushing forward!
Lap Band 1/16/07
283/276/229/160  pre-op/surgery/current/goal
-54 pounds
(deactivated member)
on 6/13/08 8:09 am, edited 6/13/08 8:16 am
I'm sorry to hear you had a family crisis, I'm not loving the thought of another surgery, but not loving wasting more years to obesity more....  Good luck! edit, it's still me, Deb
charleston-mom
on 6/12/08 11:25 pm
I had lapband with 2 slips and an erosion. I considered the sleeve, but didn't want an operation that was purely restrictive - too easy to "outeat" and I wanted a little malabsorption. I was revised to a RNY in August and have lost 111 pounds since then (am 126 now). Why not consider RNY? It has been the best thing I ever did and your insurance will probably cover it if your BMI is high enough. I am grateful for mine every day!
(deactivated member)
on 6/13/08 8:15 am
I have read your posts, and I congratulate you and thanks for the courage and strength for putting up with the LB jackass. Got a picture in her honor on my profile as a matter of fact... Her and I, well we have a history, a pathetic one pretty much.  Any how, you sharing your success did inspire me, and while I haven't ruled out bypass, I did very well w/WL and my band, so I think the restriction will be enough for me.  You have done fantastic.  I do already battle low vitamin D levels and fibromyalgia, so I think some of the meds I take for pain may be too much for a little pouch, that concerns me much.  Take care and thanks again. 
Most Active