Extended RNY

babybee6
on 6/6/08 9:54 am - Cincinnati, OH
Ok you guys, I've been thinking about a revision for a couple of years now and I've just about made up my mind. I told my husband last night and this was a big deal. He was very supportive of the RESTORe procedure (I got canceled last minute) and the ROSE procedure (made it to the OR-pouch was too small for instruments) because they weren't going to cut me open. I've been thinking about the DS but I don't think the surgeons in my insurance network do a true DS. So...I'm wondering how successful any of you have been with the extended RNY revision? I need to make up my mind soon and get this rolling. I can't afford self pay. As a matter of fact, the reason I told my husband I wanted a revision is he keeps talking about buying a new car and I would be making the payments out of my salary (I would get the new car and he would get my old car) and I told him I wanted to wait until I do this because I'd be off work for a few weeks. He didn't say a whole lot. I was afraid he'd get upset but I guess after all of these years he realizes I usually do what I want. Any input any of you could give me would be great. I want to know everything you can tell me. Thanks! Brenda
mew6495
on 6/8/08 8:35 am - MI
The posts that I have seen for the ERNY have been encouraging and successful. Check out Dr. S. posts if you haven't already. He posted some articles on the procedure. I have talked back and fourth with a couple of people who had this procedure done with him and they seemed very pleased. According to Dr. S., this is what actually gives the Dser's the long term effects. He gives you a 50cm to 100 cm common channel depending on what your goals are. I am in the process of trying to get approved for this revision. For myself, I did not want to go the "true" DS route simply do to the elevated risk and I am not comfortable with taking my pouch down and reconstructing it again. Especially if I can get the same results with moving my common channel. Good luck to you.
(deactivated member)
on 6/8/08 8:38 am - AZ
Where do you find Dr S's post at? I can't find them. I am have my erny Jul 1. Dawn
mew6495
on 6/8/08 8:47 am - MI
In the search area type in "ABC's of revision". I should bring you to a list of links to the articles he has posted. I believe the 1st is the actual article he wrote on this. Let me know if you did not find it.
(deactivated member)
on 6/8/08 9:15 am - AZ
I found it. Thanks so much for your help. Og, I guess thats what the search box is for. I have only been on this sight for 1 month and still don't understand how to navigate around. I am suppose to have my erny on July 1 and very excited. Dawn
mew6495
on 6/8/08 11:28 am - MI
You're very welcome. There is quite a bit to this site. I just got lucky with coming across Dr. S post info. I thought it was quite awesome that a doctor would take the time and have such concern to post this valuable info. I have sent him inquiries to his profile and he always answers me back. I respect that! This was one of the things that started me researching him as one of my revision choices. Good luck on your July 1st date! Keep us informed on how it goes for you. I have a particular interest since I am trying to get approved for the same procedure with Dr. S.
babybee6
on 6/8/08 12:15 pm - Cincinnati, OH
Reading Dr. S's posts are what helped me make my decision. I like the idea of having everything left in case I ever do need to have things put back the way they go. I need to lose about 150 lbs. and I want something that is going to work this time. I still have restriction, don't eat much at one time and I basically stick with the rules like not drinking soon before or after meals. I do eat the wrong things sometimes but they usually end up making me feel sick. My main problem seems to be hunger 30 to 60 minutes after I eat. It's worse than before surgery. I have asked about the advantage of a take down of the stomach and a having true DS done on the DS boards. It seems the only advantage is you can eat enormous amounts and there's no dumping. I might be wrong in my understanding of this but I can't find much information on the ERNY.
M. Hall
on 6/8/08 12:05 pm - Norcross, GA
I am having the ERny on June 17th along with some repair work. Basically my Doc said the same thing as above. He is going to drop the common channel  as well as decrease the pouch and stoma. Good luck 2 u. Go ahead and get the ball rollin.
babybee6
on 6/8/08 12:18 pm - Cincinnati, OH
Do you know what procedure he's going to use to reduce the pouch and stoma? I think I'm going to try and make some phone calls tomorrow if I get a chance. Brenda
Most Active