where do I start

luvintn
on 6/4/08 5:13 pm
I have no Idea where to begin if I should need a revision.  my surgeon is retired and the dr. who took over dosent do revisions.  i want to check the drs. in portland and see if they do them.  do I need a referal or do i just go and let them evaluate the situation.  i am 4 years out i lost 155 in the first year then with multiple knee problems my workouts were stoped.  now i am back up 80 lbs and i am discusted with myself.  help.
GO TENNESSEE LADYVOLS
"
Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only true friends will leave footprints on your heart."
JRinAZ
on 6/5/08 12:24 am - Layton, UT
Hi there friend!  Beginning the research can seem very overwhelming.  How about starting with Dr. Schlesinger's ABC's of Revision?  You can flip back through the Revision Forum archives of posts/messages and find them.  Maybe someone can even repost to help you out.....................Some basics:  Your original surgery is????  If you are banded then you can pretty much select any of the WLS options since removal of the band should restore things.  If you are a proximal Rny (most typical) you can revise to a Distal or Extended Rny which decreases your absorption and pushes the weight loss.  Distal/Extended have a higher chance for long term success.  You can revise to Duodenal Switch (aka DS).  This requires a more involved/risky surgery since reconstruction and then transection have to occur.  The DS results are parallel to the ERny and most DS'ers have farely good long term success.  There is ALWAYS the exception to the rule though...............Beware of the "true believers" amongst us who will bill their surgery as the only perfect choice for every person.  None of us have exact body types, none of us have the same head issues and certainly none of us have the same insurance and/or Cash flow options.  So we should all choose that which works best for us individually!  ..............You can check the LapBand Forums for successful Band over Rny revision folks, the DS forum, etc.  The Graduate forum has folks with every type of 1st surgery and 2nd surgery on it to help you out..................As for finding a great Revision surgeon in your area?  .....How about popping to the state forum of O.H. (Oregon, right?) and asking there.  Or, decide on the type of surgery you want and then hunt for the nearest expert to your location.  Don't let a surgeon decide your future for you based on the methods he/she prefers.................You CAN do it!  Continue the journey!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

mew6495
on 6/5/08 8:32 am - MI
Joyce, I ALWAYS love our open, honest and encouraging replies! You ROCK!
creatyvyti
on 6/5/08 12:54 am - oxon hill, MD
i understand, i too lost a great amount in the first year...160lbs.  i got pregnant last year and i've gained 10lbs, i hate it: i get so depressed if i find out something for us to do trust that i will let you know.
Most Active