Band over bypass

pepsi98
on 6/3/08 6:01 am - Norwich, CT
Hi Everyone, I posted this on the Lap Band Forum as well.  Does ANYONE out there have any experience with having a band put over a gastric bypass?  I had a gastric stapling (bypass) in 1982 and have just discussed having my MD put a lap band over it.  I would love if anyone could share their experiences with me.  I think this is relatively rare, but I'm hoping that someone out there will share their experience with me. Thanks! Sue
traceyls57
on 6/3/08 12:06 pm
Haven't had my band placed yet, but was wondering what has gone wrong with your gastriv bypass that you now want lap band?  Traceu
pepsi98
on 6/3/08 8:14 pm - Norwich, CT
Well......had it done in 1982 by a general surgeon who was good but limited by the fact that there wasn't "bariatrics" out there yet.  I was young and without the" How's" of working it as a tool I lost 120 lbs and then proceeded to put it all back on.  I was so out of the loop that I actually stumbled upon the concept of revision this past December.  I have gone all of my adult life morbidly obese in spite of a gastric bypass, simply because I didn't know.  I had lost contact with the surgeon many years ago and during all those 25 years I just accepted that I had to lose weight on my own, which of course I have never been successful with.  So here I am just now confronted with the pipe dream that   ???!!something can be done???!!! 
traceyls57
on 6/3/08 11:57 pm
Thanks for sharing, that really does suck and I hope you get connected with someone who can help you soon. I am sure that someone on here will be able to lead you in the right direction. Thanks again, Tracey
Debbiejean
on 6/4/08 3:50 am - Shelbyville, MI
Hi Sue, I had a revision, in the late 70's or early 80's I had a stomach stapeling done by a general surgeon. On April 12, 2007 I had a revision to RNY, I have lost over 130 pounds went from a size 4 to 5XL to a size 12, I don't weigh myself because I exercise bigtime. This isn't a pipedream for you this is reality. My surgeon didn't want to do a lapband on me and now I'm sooooo glad. This was the right decision for me, the right surgery for me. And for those wondering...I did check into the DS but my surgeon did not recommend the DS for me but I support my DS brothers and sister's 100%. Do your research, find out what surgery is the best for you. I had open RNY, I had alot of scar tissue and adhesions, yes I was a higher risk but I had no complications and Dr. Verseman is one of the best surgeons in the world.
grandsonx2
on 6/4/08 7:33 am - TN

Hey Sue, I will be having a lapband placed over my RNY on june 24th, also there is a guy on the boards that just had his done last week, and he will be posting on how he is doing, I  had my RNY surgery done in 04 and only lost 43 lbs, and have gained most of that back!  I researched for quite  awhile,and decided this would be best for me! I have about 70lbs to lose, I had really considered the DS, but my surgeon doesn't do them, and actually, I will be his first pt to place a band over a bypass, he is my original surgeon, and I have  a lot trust in him! I feel that you have to go with your heart and do what you think is best for you!  I was getting so confused reading about all the types of surgeries, but finally decided this would be the one I was going to make work!   Good Luck in whatever you decide, and I will be posting on how it is going after my surgery!       Nancy

pepsi98
on 6/5/08 8:25 am - Norwich, CT

Well, I've talked it over with my surgeon and he is not fully recommending a revision of the connection (stoma).  He feels that with my other health problems, a lap band would pose less risk.

Most Active