really need a recommendation for a revision

(deactivated member)
on 6/2/08 10:08 pm
Heres my situation, a couple years ago I weighed 320. I lost 100 by myself then, at 220, had lap banding done, now, I am down to 180 but as far as I am concerned it has nothing to do with the damn band, which I feel has not contributed anything positive to the situation at all. It was supposed to make my life easier, it doesnt make me feel full, it doesnt restrict my hunger, I can still eat just as much as I did before, its still totally up to me not to. Its often sore even when I dont eat anything and most importantly, I know that in the long-run, this isnt going to help me, this is not a viable permanent solution for me, if I know I can eat, then eventually I will. Now, I do not want a malabsorptive procedure, like not digesting some of my food or some such, I would like to absorb everything I eat, just not be able to eat as much. My surgeon only offers the band (I really hate this band) and the roux-en-y bypass whi*****ludes cutting off some of my intestines which I am not up for. what are my options and would anybody know where I could get them done? I live in asia and am looking either for somewhere here or in Australia. Any help would be much appreciated.
JaneSweetz
on 6/3/08 3:13 am
You could do the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy (VSG) Revision Surgery , its purely restrictive no malabsorbtion.   I have no idea where you can have it done in Asia or Australia.
babsintx
on 6/3/08 3:21 am - GA
Hi Mai,

I was banded for almost 5 years and due to complications, I now have the Sleeve. (VSG) vertical sleeve gastrectomy. Come over to the sleeve board here on OH. THere are many US docs performing the sleeve. I had my revision paid for by United Health care.

Babs

~~Sami~~ *.
on 6/3/08 4:01 am - Jacksonville, FL
Hi Mai: There are quite a few Aussies on the VSG board.  Michael France is the name of one surgeon I know who has done some Bands to Sleeves. There are also Sleeve Docs in Taiwan and Singapore, I believe. Go here to find a list of docs in your country. http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/professionals/showd ocs-countries.php

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

Most Active