random lapband removal question

nickiejaclyn
on 6/1/08 9:55 am
I was just wondering if anyone who had the lapband placed had it removed because they did not like having it in them.  Even though I've lost weight and it ways it is working. I don't like the fact that I have the feeling of being scared to eat something bc I might misjudge the size or moistness of it and it get stuck.
Ms TJ P.
on 6/1/08 1:50 pm - VA
Usually the insurance isn't going to cover removing the band unless there's something wrong with the band itself or it's causing you some kind of physical harm. These considerations should be thought of prior to having the band placed in, it was intended to be in permanently.
babsintx
on 6/2/08 1:26 am - GA
Hi,

THe other poster is correct. I had a lapband for almost 5 years and had numerous complications after successful weight loss. My insurance paid for removal and revision after seeing the radiology and surgeons reports. They usually dont remove it cause you dont like it.

Babs

discogal
on 6/2/08 4:34 am - Fort Worth, TX
Could you just remove all the fill? Or are you looking for a revision? Before I got fills I could eat like I didn't even have a band.
..*.. BEEEEEEEEEE HEALTHY..*..
nickiejaclyn
on 6/2/08 9:01 am

I figured it had to be medically neccessary.  I dont think Id get a revsion, but I did get the majority of the fill taken out.  but my dr said that it was impossible to get it completely unfilled bc of some pressure.  So at times I do have restriction and I guess I don't like that, I like having the tool inside of me as a reminder, but when i get stuck I cant stand that.

discogal
on 6/2/08 10:47 pm - Fort Worth, TX
It is hard mentally. I know exactly what you're talking about! Good luck with whatever you decide.
..*.. BEEEEEEEEEE HEALTHY..*..
nickiejaclyn
on 6/2/08 11:15 pm
Thanks Hun! you always know what to say to make me feel better
Scarlet_Phoenix_Risin
g

on 6/3/08 2:15 am - EXPORT, PA

I called my surgeon this morning and made an appointment to speak to him about this.  I have had the band for 2 years and have lost about 80 pounds but every time I get more of a fill (in order to lose weight) I can't eat anything that I am supposed to eat (veggies, meats) and I end up getting the fill taken out. I am sick of it. I am going to start my research on the RNY and DS. A friend of mine had her band taken out 2 months ago after 5 years with the band and another friend has had it a year and a half and is planning to do the same. Both are going to have another form of WLS once the band is removed. I am amazed how many bandsters are doing this!

Srelm1970
on 6/3/08 11:52 am - Katy, TX
Tomorrow will be 2 weeks since my band was removed.  I was having lots of issues and finally went to a new surgeon for a consult.  He initially wanted me to "work with my band" more - but after sending me for some tests he said the band had to come out.  I am very happy with that decision.  I had esophagitis, gastritis, duodenal spasms, gall stones and my band appeared to have been placed too high which means I never really had a true pouch. I was self pay to have the band in, but we do have UHC insurance.  They did fight me like crazy, and are still fighting me to pay for the removal, although I had my gall bladder out at the same time.  We'll see how that goes. I personally don't want to have another surgery.  This past year with the lapband was plenty for me.  I threw up daily for 6 months, then every time I had a fill my stomach would swell shut and the fill would have to come out - it was a disaster. Good luck.
Most Active