my lap band had no effect on me...will my rny do the same?

DLJones
on 6/1/08 3:42 am - Lockhart, TX
howdy folks.  in a nut shell the subject line says it all.  its a huge concern i have right now.  i had the lap band dec.2005.  here it is may 2008 and i am at the same weight.  i maybe lost 15 lbs by forcing myself to diet over the last 2.5 years but have pretty much giving up on it and now am back to my starting point, 345.  i have never had any restriction w/ the band.  my band is now full.  no more can be added.  surgeon says it is not leaking.  my ins.approved the RNY.  my surgery date is on 6/23.   are any of you bandsters who did a conversion to the RNY w/ good results or perhaps not so good results?  i just dont want go in like i did w/ the band and expect better then what i obtained.   TIA, donna
katydidit64
on 6/1/08 4:07 am - north port, FL
Your ins co will only cover the rny??? might want to look into the ds due to the greater restriction and the long term outcomes.   otherwise from reading all the previous posts I am sure that you will be able to lose wieght.
M. Hall
on 6/1/08 5:36 am - Norcross, GA
 YES YOU WILL BE ABLE TO LOSE WEIGHT BUT JUST REMEMBER THAT IT IS A TOOL AND IF YOU WANT TO KEEP THE WEIGHT OFF YOU HAVE TO DO THE RIGHT THING UNLESS BY SOME CHANCE YOUR EQUIPMENT FAILS YOU.
Just_Jane
on 6/1/08 5:40 am - Plymouth, MI
RnY will cause initial loss.  How much and for how long depends on what dietary changes you are willing to make and keep.  You know how they say "It isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle?"  It's a diet, a diet for the rest of your life. The industry considers your surgery a success if you lose as little as 50% of your excess weight. They don't measure how long you keep it off. You keep it off by changing what and how much you eat every day for the rest of your life.  Oh, and don't forget exercising.  And taking calcium and other supplements for the rest of your life. Please, please sit down with a licensed dietician and discuss your eating habits honestly.  RNY is a huge expense and discomfort to go through if you aren't on board for the whole program. Cold hard facts, best of luck with your journey.
(deactivated member)
on 6/2/08 1:39 am - TX
Since you've already found the revision forum you can see the people who post here are RNY'rs and lapbanders.  You'll rarely see a DS'r needing a revision. Why take the chance of perhaps a 3rd surgery if the RNY fails?  I didn't want to chance it, so went for the DS when I had my revision.
charleston-mom
on 6/2/08 4:14 am
I had a conversion from lapband to RNY in August of 2007 (9 months ago). There is absolutely no comparison between the two surgeries. RNY is lightyears different and lightyears better! I have lost well over 100 pounds (am 127 as of this morning and in a size 4). I had fantastic results with my conversion and am SO happy! Go for it!
mew6495
on 6/3/08 1:23 am - MI
The probability of loosing your weight with Rny is very good. Just like previous posts, you have to remember this is a tool not a fix all. I think to many of WLS patients think that having the surgery will eliminate all the work that goes into keeping your weight off after it is lost. If you graze, it will come back on...this is the same for RNY or DS. I have just read a couple of posts from DSer's who have also experienced weight gain once they got farther out (meaning more then 5 years). With whatever surgery you choose try to remember to use it as the tool it is meant to be and in the mean time work on changing the mind set that has always helped keep us over weight. Do the research and find out what the requirements are for after surgery that you will have to follow to keep and maintain your weight loss and you should have better results with whatever surgery you think is the best for you. Good Luck!
melati
on 6/3/08 2:27 am - Miami, FL
Just thinking aloud here wondering if maybe you had the wrong size band. Good luck with your revision.
janiscaldwel
on 6/15/08 8:39 pm - charlestown, IN
Hi Donna, I am also a band  to RNY  revision!!  I also have my surgery deone on 6/23.  I am geting so nervous again , especially worrying about if this surgery will be more successful that the band was for me!!!  I had the band done in 2003 and I am also at my same weight as when I started, I like you lost a small amount but never was able to get the good restriction that I need to lose the weight.  I can eat just about anything I want right now and that is after 25 fills so  my Dr. said that I just need to change to the RNY, he said that sometimes the band just does'nt work for some people and unfortunanetly I am one of them!!  lol  so anyway off to surgery again for me to have this band removed and the RNY done,. Please pray for this surgery to be successful for me!!  I will put you in my prayers also!!  Keep in touch and we can keep each other supported during this new phase of our life since we will be experiencing things at the same time!!Good luck and best wishes!  Janis
Most Active