Anyone have a successful Stomaphyx?

(deactivated member)
on 5/31/08 4:01 pm
Just wondering if anyone lost weight and did well with this type of procedure. This is one of my considerations. all info is appreciated, thanks.
pepsi98
on 5/31/08 8:01 pm - Norwich, CT
Had it on 2/1 and lost 17lbs (mostly I think due to liquid diet) and then proceeded to gain that back and more.  Really didn't have any restriction (if I did, I really didn't feel it).  I want to lose 100lbs so I'm not sure this was the right procedure for me.  I will be getting a lap band.  Hopefully MD will send in letter this week and I hope to hear from the insurance company soon after so I can schedule it.
getinther
on 6/1/08 9:28 pm - AL
I am trying to get an appointment schedulrd for that.  I will keep you posted!
Deedle621
on 6/3/08 1:41 am - Cumberland, RI
I had the Stomaphyx done 6 weeks ago.  I lost 13 lbs. the first week and a half and I haven't lost one pound since.  I feel as though I spent $8800 for absolutely nothing.  If there is any restriction at all it is minimal.  Don't waste your money and add to your frustration.
reenieb
on 6/4/08 6:26 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Please don't pursue this; it is a fraud procedure and surgeons are making a fortune by preying on people desperate to stop gaining. There's only one way to stop gaining - stop eating the crap food. We all know this is true. Hard? You bet. Impossible? No. I think these surgeons should be slapped with a nationwide class action suit. They know these procedures -- stomaphyx (I call it stomafail), restorE and rosE -- do not work. Don't do it. Maureen
jtrandall
on 6/5/08 10:20 am - TX
Pretty harsh words.  I think it may be useful for some but I personnaly would not get it.  But I do not think doctors are trying to rip anyone off.  I think it is a good atempt and wi**** would work but I don't think it would work for me. Jim
N1FC
on 6/4/08 2:08 pm
Depends on your definition of success. I had the procedure almost a year ago, going to the only Dr.(at that time) in the US ,who was performing the procedure. In fact, I was told that I was one of the 1st 10 people in the States to have it done and had to sign documentation to allow other surgeons to watch and be trained to perform the procedure themselves. With that being said, I lost a total of 52 pounds through diet and exercise. I still feel full when I eat protein and whole foods but of course soft ,(junk) foods are a different story and they remain my downfall. I definitely still cannot eat as much as before the Stomaphyx. Unfortunately, I gained back 12 of the 52 pounds for which I take total blame...soft foods. Stomaphyx, like our initial bariatric surgery of choice is just a tool, not a magic pill. I think there was a part of me that still thought of it as the latter not the former. I am now 1 size above my lowest weight after my open RNYand that ain't bad! Plan accordingly; Choose wisely! Hope this helps~ God Bless
CFR
on 6/12/08 2:24 am - FL

Hi I am thinking about stomphyx, did already see about the it, but he said, that he would do the stomphyx, but He think full revision would better for me. I really did not want go through that again. The reason you I am e-mail you is because you the first person with good result from the stomphyx. I can not afford the full revision, but I could afford the stomphyx.  Would you do the stomphyx again, or would you choose something different? Who was your surgery for the stomphyx? Thank you  Connie

Cheryl J.
on 6/6/08 4:12 am
I personally would not do the Stomaphyx. Luckily my mother's insurance company paid for it.  It works for a hot minute, and then its downhill.  It is called Stoma FAIL!
Most Active