How do you deal with Gas and Flatus ?

JRinAZ
on 6/1/08 5:20 am - Layton, UT
Hi there friend!  I haven't chatted with you for a long time! .....sorry to hear your FIL is having problems.  It seems that some of us are in that season of life when needs of our extended fam are many!  It takes balance and many Heavenly council sessions   ........I just wanted to pop on here for a second and say Hi to you and all my other WLS buds! ............  I am 5 months post-op from my Revision to ERny (from Proximal Rny) with Dr. Schlesinger.  I'm about 15 pounds below goal and seem to have stabilized for a while.  Once in a while I lose a couple and then I follow that weigh-in with a day of high calorie protein drinks which usually does the trick with getting me up a bit again...........All is well for the most part except my awful bad breath!!!!  I'm trying to sort out foods and vites to see if there's something that's the main culprit.  I've stayed away from garlic or other strong flavors cuz it seems to stay with me through even my skin!!!  I never want anyone to SMELL me coming before they SEE me coming !  Anyway....just wanted you to know that when you make it to Phoenix for your Revision that I'd be happy to help however I can.  ....... Unfortunately, I"m about an hour from the surgery center but I"m good to drop by your hotel for some TLC!!!!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

lizzythompson
on 6/2/08 9:26 am - Denton, TX
Joyce,  I have been told that chlorophyll tabs, caps or liquid will clear up the breath and any other bad bodily odors. I have been thinking about trying them for my gas to see if I can clear up the stench a bit.

JRinAZ
on 6/2/08 3:36 pm - Layton, UT
Hiya Lizzy! YES!!!!  I posted on the OSSG Grad site and received the same info ......sooooo.....I will be off to shop tomorrow for liquid chlorophyll.......and peppermint oil!  .....A few said that a drop or 2 of peppermint oil on my tongue not only helps with the odor but helps settle an upset tummy/pouch as  well! I'll be kissable again in no time!  LOL! 
Joyce 

mew6495
on 6/2/08 10:20 am - MI
Hi Joyce, Can I ask you how much weight you have lost since your ERNY? I am going through the process and trying to get the ERNY with Dr. S. Like I posted below to ginau post, I have been trying to get info on patients who have had the ERNY. Looks like there are quite a few problems with gas, odor and such. How do you concur this in the work place? Do you have any regrets? Hopefully soon I will find out about my insurance approval so that I can schedule a date with Dr. S. I posted on the DS board and it amazed me that there are a lot of folks who are so adversarial to anything but a true DS revision or procedure. I guess I have to hand it to them for being so passionate about what they believe. I do like Dr. S's approach about tayloring to the individual. I guess it just made sense about his stance that the shorter common channel will give you the long term effects rather then having to restructure the whole stomach again. I will be staying in a hotel when I have my revision. Are there any that you would recommend?
JRinAZ
on 6/2/08 3:47 pm - Layton, UT

Hi there Mew6495! I'm an open book so I'm happy to answer any/all questions!  My weight the night before my Revision was 172 and I'm now 122..........drum roll......-50 lbs!!!!  Woooo Hooooooooo!  That makes my total weight loss -156 since my original WLS!  ........ I'm farely stable now but suspect I'll go down a bit more since the trend has been to drop about a half pound a week now.  My goal weight was 135................As for gas/flatulance and the work place.......There are products of every type!  I posted on several boards (including the DS board) and got oodles of valuable info.  I've found a good routine at work and cept for the poor folks who follow my moment in the ladies room; I'm pretty "smell free"!  LOL!  ........Dr. S puts you on a round of Flagyl (antibiotic) if things get out of control.  That tackles the awful bacteria that may be taking over.............Most revision pts get over it sooner than I did.  I'm kind of the poster child for whatever can go wrong!     BUT.....I am having longer...more freuqnet stretches of normal days and have finally allowed myself to go shopping.  Life is good!..........As for hotels in our area?  Zillions!  I know my work has a couple of contracts with some lovely resort type hotels so I'm sure Dr. Schlesinger's office can connect you as well.  Just give Jenn a call at AZWLS and she can point you in the right direction.  480.419.2280. .................Good luck on your Revision journey!  Let me know when you're coming to our HOT town and I'l ltry and pop in to see you and say Hi!

Joyce 

katydidit64
on 6/1/08 2:26 am - north port, FL
Have you tried Gas X thin strips?? those helped me when I was having trouble with pain, bloating and gas.
JRinAZ
on 6/1/08 5:28 am - Layton, UT
Hey there Jeanna! How bout talking to Doc Schlesinger about getting on Flagyl.  It's a strong antibiotic that kills the bad bacteria.  Also, a round of Questran (orange flavor you dissolve in water).  Take your probiotics at least 2 hours from the time you take the Flagyl since the probiotics works to build GOOD bacteria and the Flagyl kills the BAD bacteria.  (is there such a thing as good bacteria?)  LOL! ................Limit your processed carbs and UP your fiber.  My gas pains following my revision actually went away when I started eating a lot of beans:  (stay away from black beans though).........like, lima beans, green beans, garbonzo beans, kidney beans, pinto beans, etc.  I warmed some navy beans straight from the can this morning and just stirred a few into a scrambled egg with a sprinkle of lowfat cheese. ..................Hang in there!  Some of us take much longer to work out the post surgery issues!
Joyce 

ginau
on 6/3/08 1:48 am - mesa, AZ
Yo  girl friend  Dr S called in the Flagyl yesterday - 3 tablets and their is a diff already - I do my probiotic in between to  get the good bacteria back.  No questran - not having a big issue with fat - YET !  Hey  have you shopped at the Health store next to Fry's on Guadalupe and Alma school ??  they have much better prices than  Sprouts - and they are very knowledgeable and willing to order just about anything for you.  I am going to check on the  peppermint oil and  other stuff mentioned today !!!  *** refried beans  3 tablespoons daily = gas was not as bad last night. 
mew6495
on 6/2/08 10:10 am - MI
Hi Ginau, I have been following yours and Joyce's posts and profiles as I have an interest since I am currently going through the process of getting an revision to Erny with Dr. S. I think the only thing I have to do is wait until the office submits for my insurance approval then I will schedule a date. I am like Sharon and will be traveling to AZ from MI for the procedure. I will probably have to stay at a hotel. Can you recommend one since you're in the area? Also, I read where there seems to be quite a bit more issues with gas, flatuance and body orders and such. If you had to do it over again would you? What would you consider the high point and the low point of the ERNY? I can't seem to find a lot of info from people who have had an ERNY revision.
(deactivated member)
on 6/2/08 8:12 pm, edited 6/2/08 8:14 pm - AZ
Hi Mew6495,  I am going to have a erny with Dr Schlesinger. Just waiting for my Psych Consult. I have that scheduled for June 16 and off to the insurance co. I am from Michigian. I have lived in AZ for about 12 years now. I am from Grosse Ile , Michigan. What area are you coming from ? If I can help in any way let me know. Dawn  
Most Active