New to the Board, have some questions on Revisons

sonya923
on 5/29/08 2:40 am - Somewhere, CA
Hi my name is Sonya and I had a RNY a little over 4 years ago, didn't get to my goal weight but close since them I have had some weight gain and had a baby and just am heading the wrong direction.  I can eat way more than I ever thought I could and am very concerned I have an appt with the Dr next month.  But after reading several post wanted to know what is a STOMAPHYX .  What are my options to reduce the size of stomach without major surgery.  I have Blue Cross Ca HMO and they have been great so far.  But what would be an effective surgery to reduce the size of my stomach so I am not able to take in so much.  Any responses are totally appreciated I feel so out of the loop after 4 years.  
(deactivated member)
on 5/29/08 7:20 pm - AZ
I am a band to sleeve person myself but from the research I have been doing for a friend it would appear your two best options are to bypass more intestine or a band - after procedure, a band over your RNY.  And from what I have read here and on other boards the band seems to be the best option.
Alice Davis
on 5/31/08 5:13 am - Blooming Grove, TX
I had a revision from RNY to a vertical gastric sleeve on May 6. I had had the RNY in July,'05. I had not gained any but had basically been in a stall for over a year. My doctor did an EGD and determined that I had stretched my stoma and the pouch. He decided to do the sleeve. I was in surgery for four hours. I guess that it takes that long to put everything back in place the way it was before the RNY. He gave me a four oz. stomach and from my understanding they do the top portion of your stomach that is not so stretchable. They also remove the part that controls a major part of your appetite. I have to say that I definitely feel more restricted on what I can eat from the rny.  It is working terrificly. I have already lost 18 pounds since the surgery. I really can say that I have not been hungry yet.  You definitely have to watch out though because if you put the slightest bit too much or eat too fast the pressure in your chest area feels like you are going to die.  To me it feels like you swallow a huge air bubble and it is just hovering there with no relief.  I have Blue Cross/Blue Shield TRS Active Care. Once I met my deductible they paid every bit and the bill ended up being around 57,000. I ended up having to stay from Tues. a.m around 6 till Thurs. around 10 am. They gave me a pneumonia shot and I guess it caused a reaction. I started running fever. Good luck, with whatever you decide to do.
(deactivated member)
on 6/1/08 12:10 am - TX
Come to the DS forum to find out more about CA surgeons who can give you a revision to the DS. http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/a,messageboard/board_id ,5357/
Susie221
on 6/4/08 5:11 am, edited 6/4/08 5:11 am - UK
Hi Alice  I was interested to find out ,when you had the revision from rny ,do you still have the pyloric valve now ? I know when they do the stomach for Rny its not used anymore ,but with the new op you had , would it work again ? Susie x
Most Active