Banded over Bypass?

Cheryl J.
on 5/29/08 6:24 am
Have any of you Banders had the band placed over your RNY pouch?  I had my RNY in 12/2001 and I have gained 40lbs since losing 120.5lbs from 287lbs.  This 40lb weight gain is killing me, and Im looking into getting approved by my insurance company to have the Lap Band.  Can someone share the experience and results? Thanks so much!
darnell239
on 5/29/08 12:05 pm - Columbia, SC
HI Dazzling Eyes, Glad to see you on the board again.  I just got approved for a revision last Friday!  My BMI was not over 40 nor did I have 2 or more commorbidities.  I found a good revision surgeon who performed an upper GI and endoscopy.  He proved that my stoma and pouch had stretched and that I needed surgery for revision and within a week I was approved.  I'm having my original mini-gastric bypass converted to a traditional RNY.  I'm hoping to have a better results the second time around.  This time I plan to be wiser with my food and beverage choices.  So, I would recommend you find a good revision surgeon who is willing to see if your "tool" is broken and is willing to convince insurance that you need this procedure due to a mechanical failure.
smittygirl
on 5/29/08 5:02 pm - Bridgeport, CT
Hi Darnell, Do you have or can you get a copy of the letter your revision surgeon wrote to the insurance company? It would be a great help to all of us who are trying to revise. Thanks. Shana
darnell239
on 5/29/08 8:03 pm - Columbia, SC
I do not have a copy of revision surgery that my doctor sent but I will see if I can inquire about it.  I will say this: if you can have your doctor order test such as upper GI and perform an endoscopy and see that you have an enlarged stoma or pouch he write the letter up in such a way as saying that your first surgery is failing, due to those mechanical breakdowns and is in need of repairment.  I hope this helps.
Cheryl J.
on 5/30/08 1:44 am
Hi Darnell, Thanks for your response. Thats a good idea to get a copy of the pre-cert letter from your Doctor and share it with us.  I would help all of us so much!  Let me know.
nan c
on 5/31/08 2:30 pm - Brooklyn, NY
Hi Cheryl, I remember you had EROS in December and it didn't go well. You sounded very hopeful last month when you had sclerotherapy; but I'm guessing it didn't go well since you're posting about a band over the pouch? I'm so sorry to hear you've encountered so many dead-ends.  Nan-C
Cheryl J.
on 6/1/08 10:37 am
Hi Nan C- The Sclero is okay, but its not the best.  Most people need at least 2 treatments for it to be effective, but its very painful.  So I figured I might as well go for a full revision rather than go for another Sclero treatment thats not going to last long anyway. And that its painful!
melati
on 6/1/08 12:08 pm - Miami, FL
Yes, there are a few band over RNY pts who are doing well. You should post this on the lap band board http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/lapband/
Cheryl J.
on 6/1/08 11:22 pm
Yes I posted on the Lap Band forum, thanks!
Most Active