VSG revision to Band or RNY?

lessofme2008
on 5/28/08 1:33 pm - IL
I am looking into the VSG since I found this board. Before I found htis board the only option I thought I had was the RNY as I know I can't lose the amount of wt I need to with the band. So I am wondering if anyone has had the VSG and then had to have a revision to have a band put in place or even the RNY. If so do you regret choosing the sleeve instead of going for the full RNY? Thanks!
PekinSal
on 5/28/08 6:19 pm - UK
Have you heard of the DS yet? That's another option!

DS revision from failed lapband

AmandaLP
on 5/29/08 1:08 am - TX
VSG on 12/20/07 with
Ive seen a few VSG to RNY conversions on this board, not too many on the VSG board itself. More common is a VSG to DS revision, but thats still not that common.

The VSG has only been done for weight loss since 2000, and the technuque has been changed. So, a VSG in 2000 gives you a much larger stomach than one done in 2007. So, many of the earlier VSGs have been revised, and I havent seen many of the later ones (for other reasons as well, one is that they are still in the honeymoon stage of WLS.)

As you are checking into the sleeve, check into the DS as well, thats another good option.
FatGirlShrinking.com , my blog :-)
(deactivated member)
on 5/29/08 1:43 am - TX
I had a revision from RNY to DS and couldn't be happier with it.  I think the VSG is a good option if you're a lightweight because if you ever regain you can continue on to the 2nd part of the DS.
babsintx
on 5/29/08 4:08 am - GA
Hi,

The usual course would be VSG to DS since you would already have completed part one of the DS surgery. I have not heard of anyone who has had the VSG to RNY or lapband, although I am a 5 year bandster revision to sleeve.

Babs

Alice Davis
on 6/5/08 11:33 pm - Blooming Grove, TX
I had the RNY in '05 and lost 140 pounds. Then I stalled for over a year with no weight loss and no gain, thank God. My surgeon opted to do the VSG on May 6. It was a four hour surgery because they had to reconstuct everything they had changed for the first surgery. He gave me a 4 ounce stomach and I love it.  Since May 6, I have lost an additional twenty pounds.The inches are also starting to fall off once again so I love my revision surgery. I have had a few problems with reflux but my surgeon has assured me that as soon as my stomach realizes it is no longer so huge it will not put out as much stomach acid and that problem will start to clear up.
Most Active