STRICTURE AND DILATATION

angiebell28
on 5/28/08 11:46 am - houston, TX
Hi, I had a VBG to RNY revision done on January 21,2008. Two weeks out I was sort of okay. Caught pneumonia as well as an infection from the laprascope in one of my incisions. Well then i started having problems with narrowing or what they call strictures. Haven't been able to keep liquids down. Tomorrow I go for my 5th outpatient procedure called a dilatation.(hope i got it right) the surgeon said that there is a lot of scar tissue and because of that some revision patients may have to have the procedure done up to 5 times. Is this really normal? Has anyone experienced what I am currently going through. My GI doctor who does the procedure is good and very concerned for me, called me over the memorial day weekend and said that he was researching other options. (possible stint, but that he has never heard of it being done in bariatric patients.) He also mentioned that if we chose that option it would be permanent and that it would defeat the purpose of having a revision. Other wise my surgeon would need to perform another surgery. I just want to be able to eat and not gag or burp all the time. Any advice is welcomed. Thanks, Angel
Singer468211
on 5/30/08 10:04 am - Hazel Green, AL
I've had a lot of complications and have experienced tons of strictures.  The information you were given on the number of times it takes to stretch out a stricture does seem correct from my experience.  They told me to expect to have it done 4 to 5 times, dialating and getting it to actually stay.  I just wanted to caution you on staying on top of it.  I decided to wait it out a few months ago thinking that my nausea could be something else and when they scoped me i was so completely obstructed with scar tissue we had to do another surgery.  I've probably had the Endoscopy at least 15 times now and i was just sick of having to go through it but within a couple days it was closed off. Best of luck and don't wait! Heather
angiebell28
on 6/1/08 12:34 pm - houston, TX
Wow! Thank you so much. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to have another surgery. When you say another surgery what exactly did they have to do? were you able to still keep losing weight? I just don't want to gain any weight and i also don't want to keep having all these surgeries. So I guess I should call my surgeon at this point and explain to him that the dilatations are not working and he needs to look at this and fix it. My GI doctor said that he wasn't doing anymore procedures that he was going to refer me back to my surgeon. I guess I am going to call him first thing tomorrow morning. What do you mean by having it closed of? Thanks again for your feedback. Angel
Most Active