New to this board...

dsnydi
on 5/27/08 11:21 pm

Hi everyone ~ I had an open RnY in 1999 and had my first baby in May 2007.  At the time of my pregnancy I was about 30 pounds higher than my lowest post-op weight.  Now I'm even higher as I'm having a very difficult time losing the last 15 pounds of baby weight.   I had my surgery done near Boston as I lived up there at the time.  In 2001 I moved back home to PA and until recently hadn't had any care for my tool at all.  That is my fault that I didn't make it a priority when I moved.   I had a hard time finding a surgeon here who would see me as quite a few said it was a liability to see a patient that they hadn't operated on.  Boy are they missing out because as it turns out I need a revision.   My stoma is about twice the size it should be.  I also have a piece of small intestine that is connected to my pouch that is a dead end.  This is also contributing to my weight gain and difficulty in losing.  Food goes into this piece and sits there till it dumps it back into my pouch.   All this said, I am hoping to have another baby next year and will not have my revision until at least 6 months after I deliver.  In the meantime I'm so very frustrated.  I feel that I have failed and until recently had no clue that my tool had failed me.  I will say that I do feel a bit better knowing that the construction of my tool played a part in this.  But it is very frustrating to know that all I went through in 1999 seems to be in vain.  

Pre-Revision: 228 - I had my second baby Feb. 18, 2009
Current Weight: 186 I had a revision via lap to my RnY on August 18, 2009

darnell239
on 5/28/08 8:29 pm - Columbia, SC
If I was you I would wait until I have the next birth before having the procedure.   You could later look into the stomaphx procedure.
dsnydi
on 5/28/08 9:49 pm
I mentioned that I was going to wait till at least 6 months after I deliver the next baby to have a revision done. I have read about the Stomaphyx procedure and my surgeon actually knows how to do it, but he's not a fan of it.  Basically it's not a long term solution as it doesn't seem to hold.  He doesn't like to do them for this reason. That said, he's going to revise my current pouch and fix the small intestine problem at the same time.  Another reason I won't have Stomaphyx done, he has to go in and fix the small intestine so it makes sense to just revise while he's in there. 
Most Active