I was humiliated AGAIN

snyderbuck
on 5/24/08 12:57 am - Buckhannon, WV
  It was like old times again.  I went for a Xray at my Dr's office and I told the woman I need to have a Lumbar spine and chest.  She looked at me and asked how much do you weigh because our machine only holds up to 300lbs.  She then said " I try to tell those girls up there not to send me these patients because it puts me in a uncomfortable position.  She did appalagize but it truely seemed half hearted and I could hear her talking to the nurse on the phone about "sending them to the hospital THEY can't be on my machine"  I wanted to crawl in a hole and die.  I had WLS in @))@ became skinny then gained it all back.  THIS IS TRUELY A HORRIBLE CURSE!!!!!! 
 Shannon
ShayZ
on 5/24/08 2:38 am - Somewhere, TX
Shannon, I am sooooory you had to go through that. I had an X-ray on Wednesday and MRI on Friday and when they asked me my weight I was hesitant...,I can't attest to being over their weight limt but the perception that you are close enough for them to ask is horrible.  Can I give you a cyber-hug?
charlenecarlile
on 5/24/08 10:26 am - Mansfield, TX
Oh Shannon, I'm so sorry that happened to you. If you feel the need to crawl in that hole, I'm sure a lot of folks will crawl in there with you who totally understnad! God bless, hun!
XOXO
Charlene

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything" ~R. Weeakes
peacefuldaizy
on 5/24/08 11:13 am - South of Buffalo, NY
I'm so sorry you experienced this.  You could talk to this woman or write her a letter (or talk to her supervisor) about developing some sensitivity to human beings.  I understand that she may be frustrated about the situation, but that is something to discuss with the people who schedule appts and NOT in front of ANY patient. Big hugs to you, hon.  Most of us here have been there ... Annette

Erica P.
on 5/24/08 1:26 pm - Staten Island, NY
Wow, I am so sorry to hear that you went through this mess.  I would write a letter to the dept. head.  She really need to keep her comments to herself.  Just say what needs to be said and shut up until you are able to speak PRIVATELY with the other office.  Stay strong and know that we feel your pain.  I know I do.....
"Nothing tastes as good as THIN feels"
"If at first you DO succeed- try not to look too amazed!"

"I am anointed. I can accomplish my dreams. I can overcome any obstacle. I am equipped and empowered by the Creator of the universe! I am able to live the abundant life God has in store!"
wigglypoo
on 5/24/08 3:22 pm - Sturgis, MI
I am so sorry to hear thisl I spent over 14 months in the hospital with complications at over 355 pounds(complications with my rny surgery( and remember every time they took me down for a cscan or an mri( if it was the wrong time when the doctor who I didn't know weren't there how they would make me fee. it wan humiliating. especially since I had lost my mobility since I had been hospitalized and they had to lift me- some of the assistant could be so cruel- they would almost swear and say, they don't pay me enough... Stay with it Shannon ,,,\\\ Amy
(deactivated member)
on 5/24/08 4:39 pm - AZ
What she did was wrong and there is no excuse.  You should write a letter to the facility explaining exactly what she did. With that said, if it helps the embarrassment any... I have a hunch you were focusing on your size and she probably really was focusing on her equipment.  Please don't misunderstand, I'm not justifying her behaviors by a long shot, but I'll bet you anything she was focused on the fact that if you are even so much as 301, if anything happened it would be her butt.  If you were injured it could be her license.  She was focusing on liability and you were embarrassed in the meantime. I know that probably doesn't help much but I'll bet it's the truth.  It's that way all through the hospital.  Beds have weight limits, OR tables, xray equipment, everything.  Hospital employees are ruled and regulated to death.  They have policies and procedures that are designed to make sure the one at fault is recognized and reprimanded.  The policies are written in a manner that someone can always be blamed and if anything happens they can "correct" the problem by getting rid of the employee if anything were to come of it.  All employees keep this in mind while working with anyone.  Large folks, old folks with brittle bones, HIV folks, folks with MRSA, kids,... the list is endless. I really don't think she was focused on you the person, but her equipment and liability instead. I would write that letter so she doesn't do that to someone again in the future.
M. Hall
on 5/26/08 7:34 am - Norcross, GA

I WOULD HAVE CURSED A HER ASS OUT! Point blank! There is a way to handle everything and though my reaction would have been wrong from her response, she shouldve been more professional in what she said to you and more discreet when she went to make the call. Cause she had to have been talking loud enough for you and everybody else to hear her. I am so sorry that you had to go thru that and believe me we all have been there before. And who was the DOC that sent you there anyway, andwhy didn't he know that. And granted,  she may have been thinking about her equipment, but in those policies and procedures books also talks about professionalism, mannerism, and the rights of the patients. Honey don't get me started. The LORD knows who to lay those problems and who would handle it best. Cause it aint ME!

reenieb
on 5/27/08 6:02 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Oh, Shannon, I'm so sorry.  Stand tall, hold your head up, and don't let any other human being behave as if they have more right to being here than we do.  If you really need to do something pro-active, get out from under your chair (your little icon left at the end of your post!) and get the name of this technician and file a report at the hospital.  This won't help ease your pain, but you may just stop her from hurting someone else. Be well, Shannon. Maureen
PekinSal
on 5/27/08 7:31 am - UK
Tell us the address and we'll all go over and bounce on her damn machine till it snaps...Perhaps manufacturers should be reminded that ill and injured people don't all come in sub-300lb sizes.

DS revision from failed lapband

Most Active