Why is the revision board 99% RnY revisions?

ShayZ
on 5/24/08 2:34 am - Somewhere, TX
Debby is right many of us went back to the old comfortable behaviors and by the time we realized what we had done...it was too late.  Learn from your mistakes and acknoledge that they can be overcome.
keenergel
on 5/27/08 12:09 am - OH
I was just revised from a VBG to a VSG.  Not my first choice, but you take what your anatomy throws at you.  I am 2-weeks post op if you have any questions just ask.
barbarabrewer
on 5/27/08 10:57 pm - TX
I had my Rny bypass May of 2003.  I did wonderful for 3 years, lost 134 pounds and due to family/financial issues I quit the life style changes I had made and I admit I ate out my surgery.  I have gained back 80 pounds and on June 19, 2008 I am having the Lap Band surgery.  I stretched my stomach, but no staple line distruption or fistula.  I am determined this time to make the changes and see my therapist and the nutrionist and attend the WLS monthly group meetings.  I now admit I do have an eating disorder that affects me and if I am to be successful this time and maintain my weight loss I have to work at it! Barbara B
Nunyo B.
on 5/29/08 11:10 am

I had the SRVG back in 1997 and I was successfully revised to the DS last Oct.  Yes, revisions are risky, but there are excellent revision doctors out there who will revise you to the DS.  Please come to the DS board and ask your questions there as well.  A lot of revisions will speak up and let you know of their experiences.  A lot of doctors won't revise to anything but RNY because, like I said, revisions are risky and the DS is a technically more difficult surgery to perform.  If you are not convinced the RNY is for you, don't settle.  You may have travel to get what you want, but your tenacity will pay off.

Good luck with your quest!

(deactivated member)
on 6/8/08 2:38 pm - CA
You might want to call Dr. Husted's office. He does all of the surgeries and revisions to all of the surgeries. He will do whichever revision surgery the two of you agree on. You need to find a surgeon that does ALL of the surgeries to get the best answer as to what will be best for you. If a doc only does a(n) RNY they will say that is the best procedure instead of having you seek someone who does all of the surgeries. A majority of Dr. Husted's practice is now revisions from the RNY. There are not many docs in the US that do revisions to a D/S as they are technically the most difficult bariatric surgeries to perform. It is most important that you educate yourself and feel comfortable with your decision.
(deactivated member)
on 6/8/08 3:01 pm - AZ
When I had my orginal rny I think that was the only thing offered. I don't remember. Plus I did not even know about online support or have a computer. I  never saw a nutritionist or a therapist and I was on my own. Now they have all kinds od support and I plan on getting all the support I can get. PLus my insurance back 1997 wich was BCBS of AZ denied it lack of medical nesseccity. I weight 420 lbs and had a ton of commorbities. I did a appeal and had a WLS Lawyer and sill got denied. The lawyer still is a WLS lawyer and maybe he is getting more approved these days. I think he was like the only one and I had to fly to California and see him.  I still got denied. Maybe the the stats will change in a few years on what kind of revisions on what they will be doing. My doctor said the erny is the best procedure for me and leave my pouch alone because it is so dangerous. If a DS was available to me in 1997 I would have wanted to get that. But I never heard of it and no one was doing it. Thats why the stats might be so high for revisions from rny to erny.
(deactivated member)
on 6/11/08 3:41 am - CA
I'm feeling really bad for those who want a revision and again are taking what "their" doctor is offering. Isn't that what we all did the first time around? What I have learned more than anything is to get educated, go to support groups and find people at least 5 years out from these procedures before you commit to another surgery. We all love our docs and think they have our best interest in mind but honestly, we have to be our own advocates. As was previously mentioned there are VERY few doctors that will do revisions to a D/S; especially if they didn't do the initial surgery. Everyone owes it to themselves to look at and learn about all of the options. The other thing I have learned and am trying to learn and WISH I would remember that I am trying to learn.......because sometimes I don't do it and ALWAYS regret it.........is ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS trust your gut feeling (no pun intended).
(deactivated member)
on 6/11/08 4:11 am, edited 6/11/08 12:08 pm - AZ
Liz, There are many options and choices today.I want the surgery and if the doctor won't do I will find another doctor. I am looking and learning what my options are this time around. I am not having a DS. I am having a extension to my gastric bypass. I have lost weight but I don't loose anymore and I can die. Do you see where I am coming from. I want to live, Back in 1997 there were no choices and I was at my last chance back than. Who know what they will have as weight loss surgery in 10 years. Believe if I am still fat I will do it all over again in a heart beat. I was over 400 lbs ! I am getting a 2nd chance and I decided for myself what option I have and desire. I bet in a few years alot of doctors will be doing differnt procedures. There will always be research in WLS. I don't love all the surgeon's I know which ones are butchers and would never go to see them or recommend them. I have worked in hospitals for over 25 years and all I do is review medical records and make sure in the op report that the doctor has a consent signed by the patient for that operation. My field in Medical Records is very close nit and you know who is good and who is bad at WLS. I think some people like myself are my own advoate. No is not going to do it for me. Some doctor;s only want to do lap procedures and some enjoy challenging and complicated cases. I also forgot to mention some doctors don't have your best intrest at heart and are just money hungry and don;t do any followup or charge you a extra $5000.00 just follow you. I have seen this over the years. I have a good way to remember things is I keep a daily journal by my phone and document every phone call and who I talk to and what was said. I have been doing this for 10 years and go back on say 5.5.2004 and see what I have written in my joureanl(sp). I learned from my mother. She can go back 30 years and tell you I said and talk to whoever on this date. You never know when you need it. I hope this has helped you . Honey, please don't feel sad for me. I feel I am going on a good path in my life and it took 7 years to decide to do a erny for myself.
Valerie G.
on 6/27/08 9:14 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
I think that it's mostly RNY's because the RNY has been touted as the "gold standard" and is the most common wls out there right now.  The extremely higher volume of surgeries makes for a higher volume of revisions needed.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active