Why is the revision board 99% RnY revisions?

tjays
on 5/23/08 7:57 am, edited 5/23/08 8:04 am - burbank, CA
I am in waiting to get a revision from VBG done in 1992.  All the doctors want to do RnY revisions but I will not do it because of all the compications I found here.  Do you think it is because there are more RnYer's in the world or that it is not a good choice for WLS?? 
ShayZ
on 5/23/08 8:09 am - Somewhere, TX
I think this board is so heavy on RNY because it is the popular surgery with 75% of all WLS being of that ilk.  I just told someone else that there is no one perfect surgery.  Maybe some of us made incorrect choices or didn't have a choice at the time of our original surgery.  I can tell you that the vast number of people I know who had RNY are doing fine and have success.  We are about 8 years out from when stomachs were actually transected; people with divided RNYs don't seem to have that many complications or need for revisions, but again, it will happen for someone.  I think you just have to investigate what is right for you.  I would go to a variety of surgeons since most of them tend to want to take the decision out of your hands.  Nothing works for every single person on earth...go with your gut (quite literally, lol).
PekinSal
on 5/23/08 8:59 am - UK
RNY as a first surgery is performed on more people than other types of WLS - the lapband might be catching up in terms of numbers though.  I'm a revision from a band, and deciding between RNY and DS took quite a lot of research and thinking about - I partly picked DS because there aren't many unhappy DSers on this board! Failing once makes you a bit nervous the second time!

DS revision from failed lapband

tjays
on 5/23/08 11:18 am - burbank, CA
you got that right!!!
ginau
on 5/23/08 3:00 pm - mesa, AZ

let me chime in here .... Please with my opinion, You have more Rny revisions due to the fact that most RNY surgery is done  using the laproscopic procedure. Lap yeilds  a very short amount of common channel bypassed and results in less weight loss than if you had a distal or extended Rny done .  As in my case  my bypass was less than 40 cm bypassed.  with my revision I now have a common channel of 75 cm Too you need to know and understand all the surgeries and know what kind of bypass is being done. Some Surgeons will not touch the pouch and intestine both at same time ! Go back through and read Dr Schlesingers posts in this forum - he explains it very well ... 

(deactivated member)
on 5/24/08 11:29 am - AZ
Ya, Dr Schlesinger will not touch my poch/stomach either with a revision. He is doing the intestine part only.   
fortworthgal
on 5/23/08 3:50 pm - Fort Worth , TX
I think it is because there are more RNYs done. I am in the process of going from lap band to RNY. My doc doesnt do DS but is very experienced with revisions which is why I chose him. I do understand a lot of people gain some weight back, have complications etc. with the RNY but its a chance I am willing and very ready to take.

I went from lap band to RNY on Aug 1 2008.

SW    CW  GW
5'2"     205/133/ ?

LosingSally
on 5/23/08 5:27 pm

99% of weight loss surgery is RNY. All others are done less in USA. LapBand is coming on with advertising, but still new, and others aren't done as much.There have been many Lapband posts here.  Also, I have seen a couple who had DS post here, but they only posted once. I think maybe they didn't get much help.  There will be revisions of ALL WLS as time passes and more people who have each type get further out from their surgery date. There will also be new surgeries developed that may make more people who need revisions feel better about seeking one.

godzilla
on 5/23/08 5:32 pm - Israel
My understanding (and I live in Israel--I went to 5 different surgeons in different cities of the country) is that there are not that many docs who do DS or even Revision Surgery; not to mention that if one had SRVG  or the VBG (of which I had both-the 1st in '93 and the 2nd on '01) that the RnY is the only choice available to most of us. I also suffered horrifically with GERD with food coming up in my sleep even when on medication and dietary changes. I am 5 ft tall and weighed 120 k before my first op and lost only down to 92k, slowly regained to 104 with a hysterectomy and Ankle fusion ops after the VBG. I had a revision to RnY in Feb 2008 -104 kdown to 88k. I read somewhere that the loss in revision tends to be slower and as I am menopausal, the hormones may also affect it. As it is now, I believe I am doing a better weight loss than ever before. I credit this to the Rny and my making better food choices. I still have a sweet-tooth and never got rid of the junkfood in the house from before my op. I know that was not a wise decision. I do indulge however my priorities are for my protein and iquid intake. When certain food items are gone , I hope I will not choose to buy them again. Good luck on your journey. Feel free to view my profile.  Mikimi in Israel

Proud Military Mom
on 5/24/08 12:44 am - Reno, NV
Along with what others have said I will add this.. Regardless of the surgery you choose, you can beat it if you dont follow the rules.. I had issues with my original surgery which required a revision.. many of us cheated our surgeries (even those who wont admit it)    Good luck Debby

If you can't stand behind the troops... stand in front of them... PLEASE!

Most Active