Revision and weightloss question

Michaelle H.
on 5/23/08 3:18 am - Puyallup, WA
I had a revision done on the 7th of April and I have lost around 28lbs but that was the first 2 weeks from surgery after spending a week in CCU.  I need to know what I can do to kick start my weightloss. Is it True that revision patients loose slower?  I start my gym membership and exercises on Sunday and my calorie intake is roughly 800 a day. I am working on getting more in.  Any advice is appriciated. Michaelle H
Michaelle H
300/165/260

Monique H.
on 5/23/08 4:20 am
I haven't had a revision yet, but would like to know if you would mind sharing with me or us what type of revision you had and why. I'm just trying to get an idea of which insurances are paying and for what reasons. I need a revision, but I'm not sure if I'm going to get one. Also do you mind telling us why you had to spend a week in CCU.  Also I don't know if you remember the first time with surgery or if it happened to you, but it seems like I would lose a lot then nothing. Everyone assured me my body was just catching up and if I were to measure myself I would see that I'm losing inches. That was pretty much the case in the beginning. Oh yeah, CONGRATULATIONS on your revision!!
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
Michaelle H.
on 5/23/08 4:57 am - Puyallup, WA
I don't mind sharing at all.  I have been having an unexplained pain that would come and go for over a year and then finally in Feburary the pain got so bad i was vomiting blood and had gone to the ER. When they sent me home I was then called by my Dr. who scheduled me for a EGD. When the got in there they ended up in a place the shouldn't have been able to get to because of the Bypass. What he found was an ulcer that developed an Intestinal Fistula (where my pouch attached to my old stomach). I gained about 40lbs.  He scheduled me to have a revision to repair the pouch and remove my old stomach so the fistula would never come back. My stomach (as is with everyone) shares a blood supply with the spleen. When they severed the connection they packed the spleen and completed the rest of the surgery. When he went back to finish with the spleen it didn't stop bleeding and I lost all but 1 Unit of blood.  He put me in CCU to give my body time to recover he had me intabated and sedated the whole time.  The fistula and the complication I had are NOT normal. (then again neither am I). Insurance covered everything because of the fistula.  Michaelle
Monique H.
on 5/23/08 7:07 am
Wow that sounds pretty scary. Well I'm glad you are alright now. Thanks for asking my questions. Monique
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
Samba62
on 9/8/08 11:56 am
Michaelle-
I had RNY 11 years ago.  I lost 100 lbs and have kept 90% of it off.  About a year ago, I started having sporadic upper abdominal pain and one day I ended up in the hospital with sever pain. My Primary had an Xray, and I had a blockage which cleared. Because my RNY surgeon retired about 6 months after my surgery, I didn't have follow up care and figured I better get another to keep an eye on me, check my hutritional levels, etc.  I had the bloodwork done, it was fine, but when I told the new doc about this pain episode he called the hosptal for the  xray report and told me I had a fistula.  I asked him what could be done, and he said just leave well enough alone and do "nothing."  He said my original doc who did my surgery did it  different than is now being done (I had  2 or 3 rows of staples instead of the now preferred method of complete removal of the excess stomach). He asked me if I had gained any weight, and I said yes, but not much (10 lbs).

Anyway... the pain is getting worse. I am now having a hard time with clothes putting pressure on my belly.  I can't stand to button my pants. Sitting at my desk, the support wire of my bras press gainst my belly and hurt.  I finally realized today that it must be the fistula. 

Here is the scary part... during my first surgery, my spleen ruptured and had to be removed. I think I need a repair job, I can't go around with my pants undone for the rest of my life and the pain is getting worse.  I will call the new doc tomorrow, but I am afraid they won't want to fix this problem.

If anyone has any advice, I would appreciate it.

Thanks
PekinSal
on 5/23/08 9:04 am - UK
Blimey Michaelle that sounds very traumatic.  I had my revision to DS done two days before yours, and I've lost about 4 pounds more than you (depending on tomorrow's official 'weigh-in'). I'm really pleased with that - its an average of 4 pounds a week.  What were you hoping to lose? It can take a while, particularly after such difficult surgery - your body has been through a lot. 

DS revision from failed lapband

babsintx
on 5/27/08 1:09 am - GA
Hi Michaelle,

Yes, statistics show revision patients lose at a slower rate than virgin surgery. I was a lapband to sleeve revision and I am losing very slowly. (28 pounds in 11 weeks).

Babs

Michaelle H.
on 5/27/08 6:51 am - Puyallup, WA
Thank you very much for your words of reasurance. I went in wanting to lose 60 and have lost 28 as of today and I'm 11 or 12 weeks out. I guess I was hoping to get into my 8's again by summer. I do start my workout tonight so I'm sure the weight will come off in it's own sweet time.  Thanks again,  Michaelle
Big B.
on 5/27/08 7:02 am - Crosby, TX
I was wondering when can you have a revision. I have gained about 20  pounds and I see myself going back to where I was before. What can I do?
Most Active