Anyone have the ROSE procedure and NOT lose weight??

catbert
on 5/22/08 4:46 am - MN
Below is my previous post from May 6.  I spoke with the nurse about a week and a half ago and have another call today with the doc.  No one to date has any answers why I have had zero effect on my eating capacity.  I am able to eat the same amount as I did PRE rose procedure.  I have lost any weight, but I also haven't gained any weight. I have however spent $14k out of my own pocket to have this done. 
  Has anyone else had this done and not lost any weight?
I had my ROSE procedure on April 22 out of the Cinncinati Weight Loss Center by Drs. Watkins and Mobley.  First week was full liquids.  Week 2 and 3 are soft foods.  I completed week 2 and starting week 3 of my soft food diet. 
At this stage, I must say I am HIGHLY disappointed.  I have not lost one pound and actually gained 1.5 pounds. 
You may be asking how this can happen.  I am asking that as well.  I work out 4-5 times per week for 45-60 minutes.  Eating the soft foods slowly with no liquids before, during or after.  The difference is that I do not feel full at all.  I am able to eat the same amount as I did pre ROSE with the only difference being that the food is soft. I am wondering if my stomach is stretchier or more elastic than what it looked like under the scope when they did the procedure. 
They only put in 1 anchor in the pouch and 2 around the stoma.  I am still able to swallow 6-7 pills with zero issues.  I emailed the docs today about my concerns over the elasticity of the pouch & stoma and that perhaps when they looked under the scope they didn't realize that the lining is actually stretchier than what appeared under the scope.  I'm not sure what is going on, but hopefully I 'll find out soon.
  I paid $14,000 out of my own pocket with the understanding that my pouch and stoma were being put back to where they were post gastric bypass I had 6 years ago.
reenieb
on 5/22/08 5:17 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Hi - I feel your pain.  What follows is a post I made to another member's disappointment with this procedure:  If it's any consolation, the RosE and RestorE procedures are gimmacks as far as I'm concerned; they do not work. These doctors will make a fortune on our desperate hopes to stop regaining, or lose what we've regained - just like any other aspect of the Diet Industry.  I had the RestorE procedure in mid-April and I am devestated by the failure. I had such high expectations - the little weight I lost 10 days after the procedure was soley due to starving myself on liquid protein. I've gained it all back and my hunger is incredibly painful and very real. I do not recommend either of these procedures to anyone, they are a hoax - and a very expensive one at that. Maureen
sholy
on 5/22/08 6:23 am - KY
Good grief! I am so sorry to hear this. Honestly, I am beginning to wonder if it was such a disaster for me to NOT have the procedure done. (I was the one who they did the ROSE on but couldn't put any clamps in...mismeasured I presume??) .  Is this typical- are you able to get feedback from any of the other local participants? There just isn't much even on this forum about progress from other participants and that  had me worried before my ROSE attempt.  Again, I am sorry to hear this and please try not to be hard on yourself...I know that I tend to blame weight related problems on myself when clearly it isn't always our fault. THIS major let-down is NOT in your control. I do think that they owe you some answers......... dk
happy girl
on 5/22/08 12:47 pm
For the record - RESTORe is still in clinical trials and that person shouldn't have had to pay anything (for RESTORe)...It's my understanding RESTORe is only being offered through trial sites.

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

margaret C.
on 6/29/08 3:13 am
happy girl
on 5/22/08 12:50 pm
It sounds like for whatever reason - couldn't or didn't put in enough fastener's ..you said
  1 anchor in the pouch and 2 around the stoma.  That doesn't sound nearly enough

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

Cheryl Gebbie
on 5/22/08 9:50 pm - Knoxville, TN
I had the ROSE Procedure on 4/23/2008 and have lost 21 lbs so far ...was told the average loss at the 1st PO is 23 lbs ..I have my PO on Tuesday next week. so far I have done well with the ROSE ..I dont know how many anchors were placed but hope to find out next week Cheryl
patsy13215
on 5/22/08 10:07 pm - syracuse, NY
hi cheryl;Fantastic job!!!!I was hoping to hear how you are doing.Goodluck at your 1st post op on tuesday .I will be having my rose that day...You should feel great!!Patsy
sholy
on 5/22/08 10:48 pm - KY
WOW Cheryl, That is fantastic!!! I am very impressed and happy that it is working for ya!!!! Oh, to be 21 pounds lighter.....I WISH!!!!! Ya feeling better? DK
YMAM
on 6/24/08 6:46 am
I have the ROSE procedure on 4/24/08, I lost 9 pounds the first two weeks.  Then I lost 1 pound the second two weeks. Know I am lossing nothing. What are you eating? I am walking 2 miles three times a week. I had an appt. with a dietecian last week for the first time after the procedure which help me none and in fact get mad at me because I was not having any progress. She was extremely rude, like I do not have enought with a failure.  The surgeon has request that I see a psycologist but an appt. have not been done by his office. I do get full with 4 ounzes of food.   Thanks, Looking to here from you 
Most Active