Stomaphyx-anyone had it with success? I'm at my end.

linda249
on 6/9/08 3:29 pm - xenia, IL
I also did the pouch test but I think anytime you do a liquid diet you are going to lose weight  and yes this scleratherapy was covered by my insurance because I called before I had it done and insurance told me as long as it was ordered by my Doctor , They do it at the hospital but as an out patient you go home the same day within hours of getting it done I wont tell you it is not painful but my Dr. the second time he did it gave me pain meds before he done it and also after the procedure they are finding out new things all the time the first time they did not give pain meds right before they did the procedure but like I said they are finding new ways all the time. I had my WLS done on Aug. 9th of 2006 and and the summer of 2007 I could eat a whole bag of popcorn so then I had begun to suspect something wrong somewhere since I could eat that much but I explained it away by thinking that you know how popcorn does when you pour water on it and the popcorn just disinagrates you know after it is popped so I just was thinking with saliva it was just doing that but now I know that was not so, my food was just going on thru my pouch because there was no stopping it the stoma was way to big , so needless to say I wasted a nearly whole year before I got something done about it so dont just not ask do something about it. But see one thing too that held me back was the office nurse told me to write down everything that I ate and bring it in for them to look at well you know how that goes , you forget to write down everything and you just let things go and think I will do it later but I thought one day I am going to callI am not losing anything in a year and this is just not right had no idea about this new procedure and my Dr. is now doing a l;ot of them so we are not the only ones
Gina_Fife
on 6/9/08 11:56 pm - Bozeman, MT

What type of doctor does this? Is it a gastroenterologist? If so, do you need a referral from a bariatric surgeon? Reason I ask is that the nearest bariatric surgeon to me is 2 hours away. I want to know before I make an appt there if I can just walk into a gastro doctor's office in town instead. It sounds very helpful. Since the pouch test I have gone back to ALL the post-WLS rules (no drinking b4/during/after meals, protein first, no carbs) and stay under 900 calories. I have lost weight and feel better about my self-control. I just wonder if having the sclerotherapy is a "mind thing" and I will still be doing exactly what I am doing right now or if you really feel restriction and all the dumping type stuff again. It would be nice to feel the way I did "post-surgery". I was so scared to dump that I followed the rules to a T. Now 8 years out, I know what I can get away with and what I thought would make me sick that didn't. Thanks for all your help. I'm going to call the bariatric office (the far away one) today and see if they can guide me in any direction.

linda249
on 6/10/08 2:42 am - xenia, IL
maybe my Dr. office would send you information on this their no. is 314-344-6800 I'm sure they would send info on this to you so you could make a decision about it but my problem was my stoma was enlarged and that is what they work on with the scleratherapy . My food was just going right on thru and I was not feeling full  to know when I should stop before I ate too much, no it is not a mind thing my Dr. is doing a lot of them right now
linda249
on 6/10/08 2:46 am - xenia, IL
Gina this is not a stomaphyX the stomaphyx has to do with the size of the pouch not the stoma confusing huh  the scleratherapy is wto reduce the size of the stoma which is the opening to let the food go thru and mine was going thru too fast it had not much restriction
Gina_Fife
on 6/10/08 3:41 am - Bozeman, MT
Thanks for the info. I called the bariatric surgeon in Billings and they referred me to a nutritionist in my home town. Lots of help, huh? Gee why didn't I think of that. If I ate better I would lose weight, what a concept. I was totally frustrated with that answer. Apparently they don't do many revisions and don't even do the lap band procedure there. I'm in podunk. I can always go back to CA to do this since I have fam and friends to stay with. I just needed to hear the path to take. Just like Lori, the Billings office then recommended I see my PCP to get a referral for an upper GI then I can take those results to whomever will listen I guess. I never realized it would be this hard to get medical attention in Montana. Thanks for the great advice. Gina
linda249
on 6/10/08 4:30 am - xenia, IL
Gina just contact one of thes Drs. they will know what you want  did you have the lap band or what ? Now this scleratherapy is only done with RNY because the stoma has already been altered once and that is what they are doing is altering it again
Gina_Fife
on 6/10/08 10:44 am - Bozeman, MT
I had open-RNY 8 years ago when I still lived in CA. I lost 130 pounds but gained back 80 over two pregnancies and a bad side effect of hormone birth control. I have an appt with my PCP in 2 weeks. I will try to get the upper GI referral then. Until then, I will keep doing my 900 calories of protein a day and see how I do. I also have an appt with a psychologist next week to deal with my food addiction. I am trying to attack it from both sides. I figure the real problem won't go away with surgery-unless you consider a labotamy a solution :) Thanks for listening. Gina
Most Active