Stomaphyx-anyone had it with success? I'm at my end.

Gina_Fife
on 5/21/08 9:53 am, edited 5/21/08 11:02 am - Bozeman, MT
I heard about a new revision procedure today called Stomaphyx. No surgery! Very few doctors are certified and insurance doesn't cover yet. Has anyone researched this or had this done with success???? Had RNY done 8 years ago- had 2 kids and side effects of hormones to gain back 80 pounds. This procedure sounds too good to be true, but I'm willing to try anything. OK- apparently I don't get any information in Montana. I just read the message boards and found out you all know about this already. Has it worked for ANYONE?? I spent my day excited and hopeful about this procedure- now I want to cry the rest of the evening. I couldn't find many good reports about this. Is there any "permanent' solution other than wiring my jaw shut???
(deactivated member)
on 5/21/08 12:42 pm - AZ
I have been researching the same for a friend and I haven't found much that is positive so far. What about a band after?  Lap band over RNY?  A lot of people are doing it.
Gina_Fife
on 5/21/08 2:20 pm - Bozeman, MT
I have 3 friends that have lost barely 10-15% of their excess weight with the lap-band. It seems like a lot of pain and money to only lose that much. If I just stayed out of the fridge I think I could do the same. Thanks for the idea though. That is what my initial surgeon recommended as well. But I figured if I have to pay out-of-pocket I need to find the MOST EFFECTIVE method.
(deactivated member)
on 5/21/08 2:28 pm - AZ
Some do well, some don't.  But you HAVE to stay on top of fills and restriction or it will not work.  It does restrict food intake and if restriction is there and food choices are good, it will work. It seems as though the band gives you a better shot than Stomaphyx from what I've seen around here. As for staying out of the frig... if we could have done that we would have before sugery. ;o) It is expensive, it's $12 in Mexico, I can't imagine what it is in the US.  But I have to say, I really think that if someone is committed it can work quite well but it is MUCH harder than bypass in the sense that you have to bust your butt, do things the right way and then it will work. I lost over 120# with a band.
pepsi98
on 5/21/08 8:16 pm - Norwich, CT
I'll give you my experience with Stomaphyx...had it done on Feb 1st, initially lost 17 lbs and because I had no major restriction and realized that I had to rely on myself more, I have gained all that back plus more.  I just cannot say that I ever really experienced significant restriction.  Now I am looking onto whatever my doctor suggests.
Stefanie Bailey RN
BSN RNFA ...

on 5/21/08 11:32 pm - Bandera, TX

It is a fairly new procedure but like many others has been performed alot in Europe.  Lapband was the same, and now it has overcome bypass as the most commonly performed WLS.

Results are mixed with Stomaphyx as with all surgeries.  There are many factors at play in teh success and failure of any surgery.  One of the big ones is compliance, and that one is a hard one to overcome for some.  I had the lapband 5 1/ 2 years ago, and lost all my weight and then some and have done well, but I work with alot of patients that have struggled.   Have you had any testing done to see if there is a failure with your surgery, or to see how big your pouch is?  That might be a starting point.   The doctor I work with in Texas actually does bypass, Lapbands, sleeve gastrectomies, and the stomaphyx.  We actually had former paitents at seminar that had had all 3 WLS, 2 each and were successful.  My advice is to do your research, do some soul-searching, and decide what is right for you.  That is how you will be successful. Good luck in your journey and feel free to ask any questions that you might have as you continue to look for options.  

Gina_Fife
on 5/22/08 1:39 am - Bozeman, MT
Thanks for the great advice. I hadn't been on this site in a while. I didn't even know revisions were common. I was too embarrassed to call and ask about it until a friend of mine heard about the Stomaphyx. I called my old Dr. and found out that I'm not the only one looking to shrink my pouch again. I really just started this journey yesterday. So I will definitely be doing my homework. I read about the 5 Day pouch test and have decided to start that today. I figure if I can stick to that then I may be a good candidate for revision surgery. I thought having surgery would make me feel like I did the first time. I am now understanding that no revision will give me that back. Without that, I may as well DIET and EXERCISE and forget about a quick fix anymore. Thanks for all the great info. I will have to see if there is a bariatric surgeon in Montana and go from there since I am so far away from CA where I had my surgery 8 years ago.  If there's something wrong, I will find out. If not, which I presume is the case, I will just do it the hard way and try to get my emotions in check.
linda249
on 6/7/08 2:09 pm - xenia, IL
are you sure it is the pouch that is stretched it could be the stoma and you probably already know that is the opening at the bottom of the stomach, well my stoma had stretched and my Dr. did the scleratherapy when he did an endoscopy to see if the pouch had stretched but it had not but the stoma had so I have had the scleratherpy done now twice and it is to reduce thew size of the stoma and not as evasive as some of the surgerys it is done thru or down the throat when he looks at the pouch
patsy13215
on 6/8/08 12:11 am - syracuse, NY
hi linda;how has the scleratherapy worked for you? Patsy
Gina_Fife
on 6/8/08 1:18 am - Bozeman, MT
Hi Linda. Thanks for the response. I have no idea what has stretched. I need to see a bariatric surgeon to check it out and the nearest one is 2 hours away. I started the 5 day pouch test 2 weeks ago and did well with it. I have lost 1 pounds, but I never feel my "pouch" like I did after surgery. I just have to stop myself eating after 6 oz or so and pretend to feel satisfied, when I know I can eat so much more than that. I know I still need to have a check-up done. Is schleratherapy usually covered by insurance? Is that something they can do in the office or do you have to be put out in a hospital setting? I am curious now that I have tried to "shrink my pouch" to no avail.
Most Active