lap to rny revision approved!

lovin30s
on 5/19/08 5:34 am - Orlando, FL
I am finally scheduled for my revision from lap band to rny! I did originally get denied bcz my bmi had only slightly dropped to 38. I have BCBS Federal. I wish I had done rny 1st....but I am soo happy and just want every one to know not to give up if your 1st WLS doesn't work.  Hang in there!
snyderbuck
on 5/19/08 5:37 am - Buckhannon, WV
I have BCBS Federal too.  How hard was it to get approved?  I am new to all this.  Has rny in 2002
lovin30s
on 5/19/08 11:21 pm - Orlando, FL
As long as BMI is still 40 or over, or 35 w/2 co-morbidities.  I'm filled 3.6 out of 4.0 and still not losing any weight.  BCBS is one of the easier insurances from what I understand.
(deactivated member)
on 5/19/08 7:19 am - AZ
Congrats to you!  I'm changing from a band to a sleeve, I'm over banding. ;o)
charleston-mom
on 5/19/08 8:02 am
CONGRATULATIONS! I'm a lap band to RNY revision too!
lovin30s
on 5/19/08 11:31 pm - Orlando, FL
Are you happy with your revision?  Did that make it more complicated because of the band removal, then the rny? 
charleston-mom
on 5/19/08 11:38 pm
I am SO happy with my revision. I was near death with the band (two slips and erosion through the stomach wall with the band shredding in pieces). So I'm grateful to be alive! The fun thing though is that I've lost the rest of the weight now. I was 129 yesterday morning and am in a size 4-6. There's no comparison between the two surgeries (from someone that has had both). The hunger is MUCH less with RNY; I feel better, I am healthier (much) and am so much happier. I managed to lose over 100 pounds in 9 months and I couldn't be any more grateful! The surgery itself was much more complex and took several hours longer than normal. It was able to be done laparoscopically though - and I was very grateful for that. Of course, my surgeon is unbelievably skilled and I have SO much respect for him!
Arizonadck
on 5/19/08 9:56 am - Chicago, IL
Hi - I have BCBS Federal also.  I haven't decided on type of revision or doctor (still waiting to get a consultation with one).  What are the requirements for them to cover a revision?  My BMI is 36 - is that too low?  They didn't cover my original bypass - gave the go ahead and then afterward said there was no medical necessity.  It was a nightmare (I ended up paying - still making payments).  Let me know the ins & outs.  Thanks a lot!  Carolyn
lovin30s
on 5/19/08 11:29 pm - Orlando, FL
The Dr. who did my lap band is the same one who is going to take it out and do the rny.  The requirements are pretty much the same for the revision as the original surgery. Good Luck!~
MARCIAM
on 5/19/08 11:47 am - Sayville, NY
I also am seeking a revision from lapband to RNY. Today I had my final clearance test - an endoscopy. My BMI is still over 40 so I am hoping that the New York City health program will approve my revision. Good luck to you!
Marcia 297/169 so far/140
RNY on 9/22/08
My life is starting over & yours can too!

Most Active