Has anyone had to find diff't doc for revision?

slfranks
on 5/19/08 2:36 am - Hutto, TX
I am thinking of getting the band taken out (if I am honest, I PB ALOT) and maybe considering the sleeve. The issue is that I live in a diff't city with diff't insurance from where I was banded almost 7 years ago. I can't find a doctor in my city (a state capital) that really wants to work on me since I am already banded. They don't even want to take over my ongoing care. Does anyone have experience changing doctors after the procedure or for a revision? I am in TX.
Angela M.
on 5/19/08 2:47 am - Vicksburg , MS
Revision on 06/24/10 with
I live in the same city at the same address and I changed doctors.  I did not want to go back to the same person who got me here in the first place.  By the Grace of God the new doctor did not give me a hard time about anything and my insurance approved me almost immediatly ( we forgot to submit additional paperwork and was denied but then approved a week later).  So all in all the experience has been a good one.

317/287/170

m.espoir
on 5/19/08 4:33 pm - NJ
I changed docs for my revision. His practice is wonderful, people come from all over the country to get revisions from him. He accepts all patients. His insurance girl is wonderful and got me approved. (I had gained all my weight back) You have to keep looking for a doc who will take you, even if you might have to travel a bit. Good luck!
"Don't expect.......Suggest." ......–The Edge
Lap Band 2/26/03---lost 80 pounds!
FAILED (Erosion/emergency removal) 4/4/07, Gained ALL weight back 8/29/07 
Approved for DS 10/09/07

DS performed successfully 10/29/07
1st Hernia repair and vertical TT 1/15/09
2nd Hernia repair and small vertical TT 12/27/2010
HW  SW   CW   GW       240 225 159 135
(5ft.2in.)

(deactivated member)
on 5/19/08 9:16 pm - AZ
On May 19, 2008 at 9:36 AM Pacific Time, slfranks wrote:
I am thinking of getting the band taken out (if I am honest, I PB ALOT) and maybe considering the sleeve. The issue is that I live in a diff't city with diff't insurance from where I was banded almost 7 years ago. I can't find a doctor in my city (a state capital) that really wants to work on me since I am already banded. They don't even want to take over my ongoing care. Does anyone have experience changing doctors after the procedure or for a revision? I am in TX.
I have a friend, Mindy, that might be able to help you find a doctor.   I sent her an email with a link to this thread.
Mindy T.
on 5/20/08 4:22 pm - TX
I sent you a PM . drop me a line my doc my be able to help you out. I would need more info from ya to see though ? He's awesome he's in San Antonio I see your in Hutto so its not "that " far. I live in Buda and drive to SA for my fills. My doc takes on patients who are banded in Mexico as well as others. Let me know mindy
(deactivated member)
on 5/20/08 7:52 pm - AZ
Sometimes when a doctor has one of his own patients pressuring him to see a patient he did not band that makes a difference.  I'd let Mindy talk to him for you and see what she can do for you.
barbarabrewer
on 5/21/08 7:19 am - TX
I think most of us have changed Docs.  I changed my Dr, but I stayed in the same WLS program.  I had my original surgery at Big Baylor in Dallas and this time I will have it at a surgical center in Garland, TX.   As I have said before I will be RNY to Lap Band next month and have gained my weight back over these last two years due to personal life situations and totally stopped the life style changes needed to maintain my weight loss. I think there are some good surgeons in the Austin area.  Check on this web site and see.  Or maybe your PCP knows someone and can refer you. Barbara
ShielaC.
on 5/21/08 3:00 pm, edited 5/21/08 3:04 pm
if you go to the American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) website (www.asbs.org), there is a place for patient's to search t heir state for surgeon's who specialize in different surgeries. You can put in revision and see who comes up. I just did a search for Texas and there are 83 surgeon's who do revision. One of them is Dr. Barker, who I have read about from other patient's on this board - he is supposed to be very good and is works out of a "center of excellence" rated facility. I hope this helps.
Stefanie Bailey RN
BSN RNFA ...

on 5/21/08 11:38 pm - Bandera, TX

Dr. John Mason in Bryan.  www.brazosbariatric.com

Most Active