I want a revision.

Katrina B.
on 5/18/08 3:25 am - Prestonsburg, KY
Though I know I'll never be able to have it done, I want DS.. I wish my insurance would've covered it and I would've done more research about it! Just a thought...
PekinSal
on 5/18/08 4:53 am - UK
Hi Katrina If its insurance that's stopping you, try posting on the DS board - I know that some of the people on there have appealed their insurer's decision and won. Might be worth looking into. I can't help you myself - we don't have the same system in the UK and I had to self-pay. Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

Katrina B.
on 5/18/08 6:12 am - Prestonsburg, KY

Hey Sal thanks for the response.

It's definitely the insurance. I called my insurer and they said they will pay for it if its deemed medically necessary. I'm not sure if its medically necessary. The DS seems like a more intelligent surgery (for me). I was given two options: lap band or RNY because my surgeon doesn't do DS. It would be nice to eat as normally as possible. I already take my supplements religiously. Now my "guts" are done up in the Roux-en-Y form and I'm not entirely sure how easy it is to go from RNY to DS. I'm a dreamer I guess. Thanks again

Just Valena
on 5/19/08 5:03 am - Nunyabizness
Yes, it is possible to be revised from an RNY to a DS. But you aren't even 2 years out...? Have you stopped losing? What was your starting weight? You will get to the point where you can eat more 'normally' with an RNY. Best of luck.

(deactivated member)
on 5/19/08 5:14 am - AZ
It's very possible but you want to find a verrrry skilled surgeon.  Not just anyone can do that kind of revision. How is your weight loss?  Are you losing but slowly or are you not losing at all?
m.espoir
on 5/19/08 4:36 pm - NJ
My doc does rny to ds revisions, people have come in from Virginia, North Carolina, Illinois, to have it done. If your rny is no longer working, insurance might cover it if it is deemed a mechanical failure.
"Don't expect.......Suggest." ......–The Edge
Lap Band 2/26/03---lost 80 pounds!
FAILED (Erosion/emergency removal) 4/4/07, Gained ALL weight back 8/29/07 
Approved for DS 10/09/07

DS performed successfully 10/29/07
1st Hernia repair and vertical TT 1/15/09
2nd Hernia repair and small vertical TT 12/27/2010
HW  SW   CW   GW       240 225 159 135
(5ft.2in.)

Most Active