Hair Loss after Revision??

Arizonadck
on 5/18/08 9:05 am - Chicago, IL
I was just wondering if anyone who had a malabsorption revision had hair loss.  And, if so, did you have hair loss after your original bypass?  I had an RNY and lost a lot of hair - not much came back.  I'm hoping to have a revision (hopefully Extended RNY) and was wondering if there is the chance of additional hair loss.  I know this should be the least of my worries but...  just wondering.  Thanks!  Carolyn
ginau
on 5/19/08 2:36 am - mesa, AZ
Carolyn I was just talking to a friend about that same thing, she said at 4+ moths out - she is having a lot of hair loss!  I figure I will be ripe for a wig by the Holidays
Arizonadck
on 5/19/08 2:44 am - Chicago, IL
Hi Gina - Did you have hair loss after your original bypass - did it all come back?  My hair is so thin as it is (since I lost so much after my bypass and none of it ever came back) - I was kind of hoping a revision wouldn't affect it - but I guess adding more malabsorption it would.  Oh well...  Thanks a lot!  I'm with you - I'll just get a wig!!
ginau
on 5/19/08 2:49 am - mesa, AZ
Yes I lost a lot ! took about 18 mo  for it to come back.  lots of protein, and vitamins helped !   ya know guys look good bald .. But I sure dont.   Sunny wigs has some reasonable priced wigs and the girls will  let you try em on .  Get a couple. be a new person whenever you want !!!
Arizonadck
on 5/19/08 9:49 am - Chicago, IL
I did the maximum protein and vitamins as well and still lost all my hair.  I think I'm still "waiting for my hair to come back" and it's been 5 years!  If I lose anymore w/a revision I will be bald - but I will just have to go super short or get a wig - you're right!! 
(deactivated member)
on 5/19/08 5:19 am - AZ
Hair loss can happen with any WLS or any surgery period.  I was banded and lost about 50% of my hair but it's coming back.  I know I'm going to lose it again with my revision. Anesthesia can cause it too. :o(
Arizonadck
on 5/19/08 10:16 am - Chicago, IL
Thanks - I'll just have to be prepared and ready for it - nothing you can do to prevent it so I'll just go with the flow!  When are you gettiing your revision?  What kind?
(deactivated member)
on 5/19/08 10:21 am - AZ
Band to sleeve, in two weeks! ;o) We tried something on another forum.  We compared those that lost hair and did nothing and another group tried something.  Some tried Biotin, some protein, some multivitamins, we all tried something and the results were the same as those that did nothing.  About 50% of people lost about 25% of their hair on the average. :o(
Arizonadck
on 5/19/08 11:16 pm - Chicago, IL
This is very interesting - thank you!  I was on Biotin for 2 years after my bypass - but I still lost 75% of my hair - and only 25% came back.  Thanks!  I know there's nothing I can do to stop it so I'll just live with it!  Good Luck with your revision!!!  What date exactly?  I wish you the best!
(deactivated member)
on 5/20/08 1:42 am - AZ
During my hair loss issues my nephew was dating an exec from Bumble & Bumble and he used to send me tons of one of their shampoos that helps hair grow in faster.  Honestly, I don't know if it had anything to do with my regrowth or not but it kinda made sense. When you lose your hair the hair follicle fills up with ... head stuff, I guess!  LOL  It's clogged and hard for new hairs to grow.  This product cleans out your hair follicles and allows new growth to come through.  If there is nothing there to grow, it won't work. If it is a matter of "head stuff" clogging the little holes, this might work. It's expensive!  When my brat of a nephew broke up with this gal I had to start buying it and it was $28.00 for 5 oz.  If you want the name I'll get it for you.  I am drawing a total blank right now.
Most Active