new member with some questions

SHADEDSUN1
on 5/16/08 12:53 pm - Waterville, ME
I am new to this revision thing. I have been thinking about it for such a long time with such fierce fear. I feel like such a loser since my vgb did not work. I started at about  280 lbs. and lost about 72 lbs in about a year and then I became pregnant. I had the most beautiful baby girl at the ripe age of 40 . I have no other children.  She is now 4 years old and I am 242 lbs and am so depressed. I have so many things I want to do and keep myself hidden from the world as much as I can.  My VGB doctor primarily just did the surguery. I had 1 follow up visit and no nutritionist to work with.  I even askd him about the bypass and he just dismissed it.  I know of 8 others who have had bypass surgery and all are thin and healthy. I know of one other guy who had the same doctor and surgery and he is also back to his original weight.  I have learned alot since the VGB in 2001 and am doing my research but have no one to talk to about it. I am seeking as much info as I can and want to keep the surgery risks down as I have a small one to care for. I am concerned about the insurance. Are most of you who have gone through a revision being covered by insurance. This is a big factor. I would appreciate as much info and I can get and advice. Thanks
Angela M.
on 5/17/08 7:10 am - Vicksburg , MS
Revision on 06/24/10 with
Hello....welcome to the club nobody wants to be a memeber of...LOL  Who is your insurance carrier?

317/287/170

SHADEDSUN1
on 5/18/08 11:42 am - Waterville, ME
Hi , As you can see , it takes a while for me to reply to emails and such. I have a pretty hectic schedule and all.   I have BlueCross and blue shield.  I am going to check to see if they have anything about it on the website. Thanks for the reply and by the way, your picture looks great.  It must feel awesome !!
Angela M.
on 5/19/08 1:23 am - Vicksburg , MS
Or just give them a call (if your schedule permits), Sometimes the websites don't make things as clear as we need them to be.  For instance, my carriers website states that for the state of VA there is no requirement to have a 6 month diet program but when you call, they will tell you that it is a requirement for this state.   I have lost a little over 60lbs.  I still have a flotation device that is my stomach and my thighs could stand to lose a few inches as well.  I still have another 60 lbs to lose.....but thank you and yes, despite the fact that I have not made it to goal I am still rather pleased with what I have been able to accomplish.....

317/287/170

SHADEDSUN1
on 5/19/08 12:17 pm - Waterville, ME

You were right. My insurance carriers website provided no information on WLS so I will have to find the time to call to see what they need.  I just love the thought of dealing with my insurance carrier. (by the way , that was a joke) UGHHHH........... You know when I first had the VGB it was pretty tough. I was not feeling good and couldnt keep a thing down. I just had the wrong advice and went at it the wrong way.  I now have some idea of what I need to do and what to expect and this site is great. There is alot of information and also alot of great people going through the same experiences. I really appreciate you replying to my post and will continue to update as I go.  Can I ask what you had for surgeries?  Curious minds need to know :)

Angela M.
on 5/20/08 11:01 am - Vicksburg , MS
I had Rny the first time around and more than likely I will be having it again on July 16.  I won't know the type of surgery I will be having until June 2 when I go for my final consult.  I only know it will not be having a band placed over my pouch nor will I be having the stomaphyx.

317/287/170

(deactivated member)
on 5/19/08 5:23 am - AZ
Don't feel like a failure, VGB is the failure.  It fails most people.  The Molina band was no better. You can get a lap band put over it but if there is too much scar tissue and depending on location you may not have the options of DS, RNY, or VSG.  It really depends on scar tissue, how much, and where it is.
SHADEDSUN1
on 5/19/08 11:59 am - Waterville, ME

Thanks for the words of wisdom. I checked out your profile and was in awe of the information you have written about. I really understand where you are coming from and agree that with surguery comes responsibility for our actions. It is probably why I am so down on things. I am so disappointed in my lack of research on the firsst surguery. IT IS DEFINITELY NOT A MISTAKE I WILL MAKE TWICE!!!

(deactivated member)
on 5/19/08 12:04 pm - AZ
I would think long and hard about getting another band.  They have lots of problems.  I'm sooo sold on the sleeve, what a fantastic option!  No aftercare, no Ghrelin hormone making you hungry, no rerouting of intestine, none of it.  Just a tiny stomach.  Fewest complications and risks long term of all (bypass, DS, sleeves, bands). I think that when doctors were pushing the non adjustable band there just wasn't that much info out there about alternatives.  When it was going hard and heavy there were few options. Thanks for the compliments on my profile. ;o)
SHADEDSUN1
on 5/19/08 12:27 pm - Waterville, ME
What is the sleeve?  I am seeking the safest alternative and eventhough I am heavy I am pretty healthy. I just dont want to put myself through something that is not going to work. It is a total waste of my energy to have undergone this previous surgery and I am so mad at myself for not getting the information I needed at that time. I think I was in such a bad state of mind that I was seeking a miracle and took the first thing that was offered. I am not at that point and am making an informed decision this time around. This absolutely has to be the end of my fight with weight. I need to embrace the change and conform to its requirements. 
Most Active