Is Revision for Me?

ladylion2001
on 5/16/08 5:42 am - Baltimore, MD
Hi all,  I had surgery in 2004 RNY Open. I started at 396 and got down to 268. I have now crept up slowly to 290. I'm 5'5'' by the way.  So you see I never really got to an even "overweight" status. Just obese. Still obese. I just started thinking about revision surgery. I'm not sure which one, but I feel like dieting isn't working for me. I can't stick to anything. I feel hungry all the time. I'll eat. Feel stuffed and then like 20 minutes later I'm ready to eat again.  Should I just try harder or should I seriously consider revision?  I don't know. It's kind of embarrasing. I feel like I've failed again...I'm not sure what to do.  Any thoughts? Your words are appreciated.
barbarabrewer
on 5/16/08 6:01 am - TX
Well, you sound like me! Last year I had an EGD and Upper GI done and the dr said I had stretched my pouch.  No broken staple lines or fistula's.  So they left it to go back to the basics see the nutritionist.  Well, I did that, the past 2 1/2 years have been very stressful for me...I really don't want to get into it..but that is when I started putting back on the weight. Anyway, I called another surgeon that is in the Baylor system and he said after looking at the test results he would do a lap band over RNY.  He said this was my second chance to make the changes needed to get it right.  He also said it was going to be harder for me to lose the weight this time.  That I would have to eat right and exercise. Anyway, when you self pay you can get a surgery date pretty quickly.  I just have to get and EKG done and hook up with a nutrtionist in my area and I am set! So, I would start with your surgeon and they would probably schedule same tests that they did for me and they would go from there!  If you don't like his answer go find another surgeon in your area. Good Luck!    Barbara Brewer
kirstenMN
on 5/16/08 12:48 pm - Eden Prairie, MN
hello...just a question as this is what one bariatic clinic said to me, what reason did the dr give for saying the weight being harder to loose?  kirstenMN
Monique H.
on 5/16/08 7:49 am
I just want to say that I had open rny April 2, 2007.  I lost 90 lbs the first 6 months and then just stopped losing and I'm still over 100 pounds over weight. I have the same problems as you eating (and it takes a lot for me to be full) then just a little while later I'm ready to eat again. I had an ugi and egd done and my surgeon said everything looks fine. That my pouch and stoma look right for being a year out. All I can say is that I wish I would have known about the duodenal switch aka ds before I had rny. My suggestion to you is if you are looking into a revision to go spend some time on the ds forum. Read some of their stories and ask some questions. I know that if I am ever given a second chance I either want that or an extended rny. I definitely think I needed more malabsorbtion. Good luck to you in whatever you decide.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
ladylion2001
on 5/16/08 8:20 am - Baltimore, MD
Thank you both for your reply.  I'm still 100 pounds overweight as well and I feel like I missed something. I will definitely check out the ds forum and see if that is an option for me.  Thanks for your feedback!
KDER
on 5/16/08 9:58 am - LITTLEPLACE, Canada
There is a lot of great information on the DS forum about revisions from RNY to DS-take a look-see
ginau
on 5/16/08 10:33 am - mesa, AZ
I sooo  hear your story ! could be mine ....  let me tell you what a wise man told me .  "You did not fail !!!" some procedures work better for others.  I just had my rny and today 9 days later I am down 14 lbs. feel great even if I am still recovering.  We say we would do it again.  Soo  go talk it out with a surgeon or two and see  what they say...  
ladylion2001
on 5/16/08 12:13 pm - Baltimore, MD
You had a revision surgery or is this your first one? Thank you for passing on those wise words.  I will take them to heart. :-)
M. Hall
on 5/16/08 11:07 am - Norcross, GA
I could say me 2 or me 3, because that is my story. I can eat every 30 minutes. It just seems like the food goes straight thru. Im hungry all the time! Good luck on picking your revision. I am waiting on the insurance company to approve my revision now.
ladylion2001
on 5/16/08 12:12 pm - Baltimore, MD
Thank you for your words. Nice to know I'm not alone.  Yes, I can eat every 20 minutes!!!! :-)  Thanks to all of you for your assistance. I am on my way to DS forum now. 
Most Active